OTTAWA, March 29, 2017 /CNW/ -
Health Canada is advising Canadians that it has seized multiple unauthorized health products from three retailers in Ontario (see table below). The products are promoted for sexual enhancement and were found to contain, or are labelled to contain, prescription drugs that may pose serious risks to the health of Canadians.
Who is affected
- Consumers who have bought or used these products.
Hespeler Road Adult SuperStore (261 Hespeler Road, Cambridge ON)
| || |
| || |
Tadalafil and Dapoxetine
| || |
Sildenafil and Tadalafil
Naughty Shop (330 Wellington Rd. S, London ON)
| || |
VXI Multimedia (800 Petrolia Road, Unit 18, Toronto, ON)
| || |
| || |
What consumers should do
- Stop using these products. Consult with your health care professional if you have used any of these products and have health concerns.
- Read product labels to verify that health products have been authorized for sale by Health Canada. Authorized health products have an eight-digit Drug Identification Number (DIN), Natural Product Number (NPN) or Homeopathic Drug Number (DIN-HM). You can also check if products have been authorized for sale by searching Health Canada's Drug Product Database and Licensed Natural Health Product Database.
- Report adverse events to health products to Health Canada by calling toll-free at 1‑866‑234‑2345, or by reporting online, by mail or by fax.
- Report complaints about health products to Health Canada by calling toll-free at 1‑800‑267‑9675, or complete an online complaint form.
What Health Canada is doing
Health Canada seized the products from the retail locations and is testing other products to determine whether they contain undeclared ingredients that may pose serious health risks. Should additional products, retailers or distributors be identified, Health Canada will take appropriate action and inform Canadians as necessary.
Yohimbine is a prescription drug and should be used only under the supervision of a health care professional. The use of drugs containing yohimbine (either as yohimbine hydrochloride or yohimbe bark extract) may result in serious adverse reactions, particularly in people with high blood pressure, or heart, kidney or liver disease. Side effects associated with yohimbine include increased blood pressure and heart rate, anxiety, dizziness, tremors, headache, nausea and sleep disorders. It should not be used by children, or pregnant or nursing women.
Dapoxetine is a prescription drug used to treat premature ejaculation and is not authorized for sale in Canada. Side effects include seizures, changes in blood pressure, blurred vision, dizziness, headache and nausea.
Sildenafil and tadalafil are prescription drug ingredients. Products containing these ingredients should only be used under the supervision of a health-care practitioner. Sildenafil and tadalafil should not be used by individuals taking any kind of nitrate drug (such as nitroglycerine) as it can cause potentially life-threatening low blood pressure. Individuals with heart problems are at increased risk of cardiovascular side effects such as heart attack, stroke, chest pain, high blood pressure and abnormal heartbeat. Other side effects include headache, facial flushing, indigestion, dizziness, abnormal vision, and hearing loss.
Stay connected with Health Canada and receive the latest advisories and product recalls using social media tools.
To learn more about natural health products and other self-care products, visit Canada.ca/selfcare-products.
Également disponible en français