- Southwest Airlines is now connecting the mainland and Hawaii with low-cost routes.
- On March 4, the carrier announced a $49 flash sale for one-way tickets from California to Honolulu that sold out in a matter of hours.
- Fares for flights to the Aloha State are likely to come down across airlines.
Hawaii isn’t a destination typically known for being budget-friendly, but Southwest Airlines made it possible to fly to the Aloha State for less than $50.
Beginning March 17, the low-cost carrier will fly routes between California and Hawaii. As part of a March 4 announcement, Southwest held a two-day flash sale for select inaugural flights from California’s Oakland and San Jose airports to Hawaii’s Honolulu and Kahului airports for as low as $49 for one-way airfare. Vacationers and sun worshippers went wild for the eye-catching $49 deal, and tickets sold out within hours.
Although the best deals are long gone, deal hunters who are determined to cross Hawaii off of their bucket lists can search through deals for September, when one-way fares hover around $175.
Alternative Ways to Get to the Aloha State
A Hawaiian vacation on the cheap is still possible, as other airlines quickly followed Southwest’s lead by unleashing reduced rates of their own for flights to the state. Beyond Southwest, low-cost options are available through carriers like Sun Country Airlines and Alaska Airlines. Sun Country Airlines, the Minnesota-based low-cost carrier, has established routes from Portland, Oregon, and Los Angeles to Honolulu for as low as $173 from Los Angeles in May. Competitively priced Alaska Airlines offers its own Los Angeles to Honolulu route for as low as $179 for a May departure.
Southwest’s landfall in Hawaii signifies an airline industry-wide trend for lower fares among all carriers, not just budget liners, to the island state and could drive down the one-way price by $45 in markets with nonstop service.
Find out how to save money on a trip to Hawaii by visiting these sightseeing spots.
More on Travel
- The Best and Worst Airlines for Cheap Flights
- Scoring Airline Tickets This Cheap Should Be Illegal
- Flight Attendants Dish Their Best Money-Saving Travel Tips
- Watch: How to Travel Solo on a Budget
We make money easy. Get weekly email updates, including expert advice to help you Live Richer™.
This article originally appeared on GOBankingRates.com: Airlines Drop Prices to Compete With Southwest’s Cheap Flights to Hawaii