Bitcoin has been taking traders on a wild, highly volatile ride on Thursday.
The cryptocurrency rocketed past $16,000 early Thursday, just hours after clearing $15,000 and about 12 hours after hitting $14,000. On some exchanges, bitcoin was trading above $19,000 on Thursday. Crypto exchange Coinbase showed a $3,000 per coin jump on Thursday before the site went down amid "record high traffic." It is now showing a price closer to $16,000. Data from Markets Insider show the price hitting an all-time high of $16,623,64 per coin.
As bitcoin price fluctuates wildly, other cryptocurrencies like ethereum and litecoin are falling. Here's the scoreboard as of 1:06PM ET.
- Ethereum -1.49% at $416.80
- Litecoin -5.69% at $90.86
- Bitcoin cash -6.79% at $1,258.16
- Dash -2.66% at $648.94
- Monero -3.53% at $245.04
- Ripple -4.13% at $0.21
- 12 books on science Bill Gates thinks everyone should read
- 12 lessons from 'How to Win Friends & Influence People' — a book Warren Buffett credits with transforming his life
- We drove a $35,000 Mustang and a $120,000 Porsche to see which we liked better — here's the verdict