The iPhone XS — pronounced "iPhone 10 S" — is the new version of Apple's middle-size smartphone, with a 5.8-inch screen and a starting price of $999. Preorders start on Friday, and the device hits store shelves on September 21.
In keeping with Apple’s usual two-year product cycle cadence, the iPhone XS is an update to the year-old iPhone X, with a design nearly identical to it — a refinement, rather than a completely new phone.
At the launch event here on Wednesday, Apple executives reeled off a list of new features and improvements, including longer battery life, faster photo capture, and a new dual SIM capability that allows the phone to have two separate phone numbers.
The XS comes in gold, silver, and dark gray.
The phone can be configured with as much as 512 GB of storage, which is enough to store 200,000 photos, Apple's marketing head, Phil Schiller, said at the event.
There's also a larger version of the iPhone XS with a 6.5-inch screen, called the iPhone XS Max.
Here are some specs:
Other new details and features:
- It's equipped with a dual-lens 12-megapixel camera on the back of the phone.
- Its battery lasts 30 minutes longer than last year's iPhone X, Apple said.
- The camera has "zero shutter lag," Apple said, so it should be able to snap photos fairly quickly.
- It also supports two SIM cards, allowing you to use two phone numbers on one phone.
- It has IP68 water-resistance, so it can be submerged in water about 6 feet deep for up to 30 minutes.
- Apple's chip is called A12 Bionic and has special hardware for machine learning.
- Apple said its facial-recognition software, Face ID, is the "most secure facial authentication ever in a smartphone."
- The display is covered with a "new formulation" of glass that Apple said is stronger than that of previous iPhones.
- The display has a high-dynamic color range that's 60% wider than previous models.
Now tell us what you think!
Want to take more surveys? Become a BI insider today!
Read more from Wednesday's Apple iPhone launch event:
- Apple just introduced a brand-new Apple Watch, the Apple Watch Series 4
- The next version of Apple's iPhone software, iOS 12, is coming on September 17 — here are some of the biggest changes coming
- Apple just introduced the iPhone XR, a $749 iPhone with a big screen that comes in 6 colors
- Here's what happened during Apple's big iPhone launch event
- The most important details about Apple's iPhone event have leaked online — here's everything we know
- Here's our best guess for when you'll be able to buy the iPhone XS
- Apple may name its new iPhones 'Xs,' 'Xs Max,' and 'Xr,' according to a new report