We may still be waiting (and trust us, it's gonna be a long wait) to see what Apple does with their iPhone next — is the X going away? Is it being replaced? Is everything Face ID now? — but if you've been desperate to add a new iDevice to your arsenal, the wait is over for a completely different product. Announced first at last year's WWDC, the HomePod is a smart speaker a la Amazon's Echo or Google Home, except, of course, this time your friendly voice is none other than Siri. Paired with Apple Music, the HomePod is designed to provide you with some serious sound quality — no matter where it's located in your actual home.
The speaker does come with its drawbacks, though. If you're not an Apple Music subscriber, while you can use Airplay to stream Spotify from the HomePod, you can't ask Siri to play it for you. And if you ditched your iPhone for a Galaxy or Pixel, you're also out of luck — it's only compatible with iOS devices. That said, we can't imagine those things will turn away the Apple diehards, who can use it to stream music, control smart home items, and ask Siri really important questions.
If you're one of those people, and looking for what to listen to first, luckily Charlie Puth has some recommendations. The singer got early access to the speaker and of course, he has some thoughts about what sounds best. Read on for his top five songs you should listen to first and why he picked them.
1. "Attention," Charlie Puth “Obviously.”
2. "The Light," Common “This song has the best kick drum in a hip hop record. RIP J Dilla.”
3. "Sit Next to Me," Foster the People “Whoever mixed this record is the Steely Dan of 2018.”
4. "Élégie in C Minor, Op 24 (1995 - Remaster)," Gabriel Fauré, performed by Jacqueline du Pré & Gerald Moore “In my opinion, one of the fullest, richest, most melodic piano cello pieces of music from the 1800’s.”
5. "Salt Shaker," Ying Yang Twins & Lil Jon & The East Side Boyz “Atlanta’s finest, produced by Lil Jon. Love the low drone of the E flat 808.”