Apple announced its largest iPhone to date, the iPhone XS Max, during an event at the Steve Jobs Theater in Cupertino, California, on Wednesday. It's about the same size as the iPhone 8 Plus, but with much more screen real estate.
- It has a 6.5-inch OLED "Super Retina" display with 60% better high-dynamic range for colors, Apple said. That's noticeably larger than the 5.5-inch display on the iPhone 8 Plus.
- The screen runs at 120Hz for super smooth animations, compared with the standard 60Hz on previous iPhones.
- The phone itself is about the same size as the iPhone 8 Plus.
- The iPhone XS Max has the biggest battery Apple has put into any iPhone, giving it an hour and a half more battery life than the iPhone X, according to Apple.
- Its body is made of "surgical grade" stainless steel.
- The screen is a "new formulation" of glass that's stronger than that of previous iPhones, Apple said.
- It comes in three finishes: gold, silver, and space gray.
- It sports IP68 water-resistance, meaning it can withstand up to 2 meters of depth for up to 30 minutes.
- It runs on the Apple A12 Bionic chip, which the company boasts is the most powerful yet, with processing cores reserved for neural processing, something key to artificial intelligence.
- Its 12-megapixel rear camera comes with a new sensor for better True Tone colors.
- The 7-megapixel front camera has Apple's True Depth technology, originally from the iPhone X.
- The rear camera has a new feature, enabled by the A12 Bionic chip, called Smart HDR, which captures more frames for a single photo at different exposure levels.
- It comes with eSIM technology, along with a regular SIM card. That lets you have two phone plans or a second line, which can be useful for traveling.
- The iPhone XS Max will cost $1,100 for the base 64 GB model.
- Other storage options include 256 GB and 512 GB.
- Preorders start Friday, and the phone ships on September 21.
Now tell us what you think!
Want to take more surveys? Become a BI Insider today!
Read more from Wednesday's Apple iPhone launch event:
- Apple just introduced a brand-new Apple Watch, the Apple Watch Series 4
- The next version of Apple's iPhone software, iOS 12, is coming on September 17 — here are some of the biggest changes coming
- Apple just introduced the iPhone XR, a $749 iPhone with a big screen that comes in 6 colors
- It's official: This is the iPhone XS
- Here's what happened during Apple's big iPhone launch event
NOW WATCH: What the future of Apple looks like
- Apple is about to offer iPhones with more storage space than ever before
- Apple just accidentally leaked the names of 3 new iPhones ahead of today's announcement: The iPhone XS, XS Max, and XR
- Apple may name its new iPhones 'Xs,' 'Xs Max,' and 'Xr,' according to a new report
SEE ALSO: LIVE: Apple announces new iPhones