SAN FRANCISCO, CA--(Marketwire - Feb 26, 2013) - RSA Conference -- Appthority®, The Authority in App Security™, released a new App Reputation Report to expose the hidden risks of mobile apps. The report examines the app behaviors of the top free iOS and Android apps across five categories: business, education, entertainment, finance and gaming apps. With the rise of the "bring your own device" (BYOD) movement, Appthority analyzes the security and privacy risks posed by mobile apps, as they too are brought into the enterprise. The company also reached a new milestone, with more than one million mobile apps scanned for its customers and partners on the iOS and Android platforms. The App Reputation Report is available here: https://www.appthority.com/appreport.pdf.
Appthority's security team used its cloud-based Appthority Platform™ to analyze the top 50 free apps from Apple's App Store™ and Google Play™ for risky app behaviors. Highlights from the App Reputation Report include:
- The vast majority of free apps send and receive data to outside parties without encryption.
- 96% of total apps share data with advertising networks and/or analytics companies.
- 79% of the top 50 free iOS and Android apps are associated with risky behaviors or privacy issues. Overall, iOS apps exhibited more risky behaviors than Android apps.
- Entertainment apps were the worst offenders out of the top five categories, with the highest number of apps that track for location and share data with advertising networks and/or analytics companies.
- More than half of the total apps track for location by accessing the device GPS or using other location tracking methods.
- More than 80% of apps across categories come from different unique, individual developers.
"Companies need to be aware of the risks posed by mobile apps in the workplace," said Domingo Guerra, president and co-founder of Appthority. "For instance, do you want your CEO walking around with an app that tracks his every move or shares his calendar details with others? Free mobile apps are looking for new ways to generate a profit, often collecting information about us and sharing it with third parties, like advertising networks and analytics companies. At Appthority, we believe that users and companies should be aware of these risks and have the choice on which apps we let into our devices, our networks, and our lives."
To schedule a meeting at RSA Conference®, please contact AppthorityPR@shiftcomm.com.
Follow Appthority on Twitter at https://www.twitter.com/GetAppthority.
Appthority® -- The Authority in App Security™ helps the enterprise identify and manage the risks hidden in mobile apps. The cloud-based Appthority Platform™ automatically identifies and grades risky behavior in mobile apps including known and unknown malware, new malware used in targeted attacks, corporate data exfiltration, and intellectual property exposure. The Appthority Platform integrates with the enterprise's existing mobile solutions, adding app reputation and risk analysis capabilities to Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM), Mobile Device Management (MDM), Mobile App Management (MAM) Enterprise App Catalogs, and Enterprise Mobile App Developers' Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC) process. For more information on Appthority please visit www.appthority.com.
Appthority name and logo are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Appthority, Inc. in the United States and/or other countries. All other products and/or services referenced are trademarks of their respective companies.