- Inaugural year of collaboration reported over 16,000 lives impacted across ASEAN
- Collaboration in 2018 to focus on pillars of education and entrepreneurship, with the aim of creating a sustainable future for ASEAN
- Singapore will host ASEAN Data Science Explorers regional finals in 2018
SINGAPORE, Nov. 29, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- The ASEAN Foundation and SAP SE (SAP) today announced the continuation of their strategic collaboration into 2018, following a successful collaboration in its first year to bring about social impact in ASEAN. Under the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between the ASEAN Foundation and SAP, both organisations will jointly roll out initiatives under two strategic pillars next year, namely Education and Entrepreneurship.
The initiatives are aimed at equipping ASEAN youths with the skills they need to tackle society's problems and thrive in the digital economy; build the capacity of innovative social enterprises that put young people on the path to successful careers and build a skilled workforce for the IT sector with training and workforce development programmes.
The inaugural year of this collaboration yielded positive outcomes under the following pillars:
- The ASEAN Data Science Explorers competition attracted 804 participants from 112 institutions across the 10 ASEAN member states. In the lead-up to the competition, students were trained in SAP's Analytics Cloud software through a series of webinars and in-country seminars, with more than 600 students accessing the platform.
- The competition solicited data-driven insights and ideas on the most pressing social issues in the region. Some highlights include the submission by Team "Omotesando" from Indonesia that aims to accelerate financial inclusion as a solution to poverty eradication through branchless banking, and the submission by Team "Tonkar Data" from Laos which proposes the adoption of smart and vertical farming in ASEAN to improve productivity in agriculture.
- The Youth Volunteering Innovation Challenge (YVIC), under the theme "Impact ASEAN", supported young volunteers throughout the ASEAN region in their journey to catalyze youth-led innovation for social impact and sustainable development by providing access to mentors and capital they need to start or scale up their projects.
- 29 young volunteer innovators from ten teams across ASEAN participated in the YVIC 2017 as part of a collaborative effort by the United Nations Volunteers (UNV), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), the International Labour Organisation (ILO), the ASEAN Foundation, the ASEAN Secretariat, SAP and with the close support of the Government of Germany.
- Under the collaboration, SAP supported 9 out of the Top 50 ASEAN social enterprises through two programmes namely the SAP Social Sabbatical and NUS Crossing the Chasm Challenge. SAP employees provided mentorship and consulting to help the enterprises run better.
"Through this synergetic collaboration, we have been able to leverage resources from both organizations to inspire ASEAN youths to actively participate in efforts towards driving a sustainable future for ASEAN. With digitization being the pivotal force in today's ASEAN economies, both the public and the private sector need to work together to impart digital skills to the young. SAP has been a strong supporter in making consistent effort to move the needle in this respect; we hope to continue to collaborate with them to prepare ASEAN's workforce for the future," said Elaine Tan, the Executive Director of the ASEAN Foundation.
The MoU was first signed on May 9, 2017 at the ASEAN Foundation headquarters in Jakarta, Indonesia. Since then, the ASEAN Foundation and SAP have been executing all the programmes under the three pillars.
"2017 has been a special year for the ASEAN community, with ASEAN turning 50 and the ASEAN Foundation celebrating its 20th anniversary. The community has come a long way and through this collaboration, SAP is proud to have been part of this journey to help ASEAN write the next chapter towards a more sustainable future," said Claus Andresen, President and Managing Director, SAP Southeast Asia. "Helping the world run better and improving people's lives is at the heart of everything we do at SAP and we are pleased with the outcomes of the collaboration in the first year. I am confident that the renewal of this collaboration will help scale our ambitious CSR programs to create even greater positive impact across the region."
Singapore's IMDA to Co-Host ASEAN Data Science Explorers 2018
In light of Singapore's chairmanship of ASEAN in 2018, the ASEAN Data Science Explorers 2018 regional finals will be held in Singapore, with Singapore's Infocomm Media Development Authority (IMDA) as a hosting partner.
The ASEAN Data Science Explorers targets tertiary students in all 10 ASEAN member states. It is designed to promote awareness and appreciation of the ASEAN community amongst young people. Student participants are given access to ASEAN data as well as SAP Analytics Cloud platform, which allows them to better derive data-driven insights. In 2018, the programme aims to reach out to 5,000 youths across ASEAN, with the objective of training them in data and analytics skills.
"Singapore is pleased to host the ASEAN Data Science Explorers regional finals next year. It is one of the events that dovetails with the themes of Singapore's ASEAN Chairmanship, which will focus on Resilience and Innovation. By encouraging digital literacy among our youths, the ASEAN Data Science Explorers programme will support ASEAN's efforts to harness digital technologies to secure a better future for our citizens," said Ambassador Tan Hung Seng, Singapore Permanent Representative to ASEAN.
For more information on the ASEAN Data Science Explorers, please visit: http://www.aseandse.org/
Notes to Editor:
About ASEAN Foundation
Three decades after ASEAN was established, ASEAN leaders recognised that: there remained inadequate shared prosperity, ASEAN awareness and contact among people of ASEAN. It was of this concern that ASEAN leaders established ASEAN Foundation during ASEAN's 30th Anniversary Commemorative Summit in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia on 15 December 1997. ASEAN Foundation is an organisation from and for the people of ASEAN. The Foundation exists because of one vision: to build a cohesive and prosperous ASEAN Community. As an ASEAN's body, the Foundation is tasked to support ASEAN mainly in promoting awareness, identity, interaction and development of the people of ASEAN. For more info about the ASEAN Foundation, visit: www.aseanfoundation.org
As market leader in enterprise application software, SAP (SAP) helps companies of all sizes and industries run better. From back office to boardroom, warehouse to storefront, desktop to mobile device -- SAP empowers people and organizations to work together more efficiently and use business insight more effectively to stay ahead of the competition. SAP applications and services enable more than 365,000 business and public sector customers to operate profitably, adapt continuously, and grow sustainably. For more information, visit www.sap.com.