Athene Holding Ltd. ATH has inked a fixed annuity block reinsurance transaction with Jackson National Life Insurance Company (Jackson), a subsidiary of Prudential plc PRU. This transaction will help in expanding the insurance asset management business of Apollo Global Management APO, Athene’s strategic partner. Apollo has added about $80 billion in insurance-related assets under management and had $316 billion in assets under management as of Mar 31, 2020.
Per the agreement, Athene will reinsure a $27 billion in-force block of fixed deferred and fixed indexed annuities with the help of Athene Co-Invest Reinsurance Affiliate (ACRA). This apart, Athene will also make a $500 million equity investment equaling 11% stake in Jackson. This investment will help Jackson pursue growth initiatives in line with its commercial diversification strategy.
On the other hand, this reinsurance agreement will help Athene grow its gross invested assets by about 20% and fuel inorganic growth. The deal reflects Athene’s strength as a preferred solutions provider given its robust capital position as well as deep expertise in the retirement services industry.
The transaction is expected to be accretive to Athene’s adjusted operating income and return on equity in 2021 and 2022. Athene intends to deploy about $1.2 billion of total capital over the next 12-18 months into highly rated, longer-term investments matching the liability profile. The company thus estimates further upside potential for accretion with portfolio redeployment. Of the total capital deployment, 63% will be funded by third-party investors while the remaining 37% will be funded by Athene. Athene continues to have significant financial flexibility and a strong capital position, with excess equity capital of $3 billion and total deployable capital of $7.1 billion.
As Athene is a well-capitalized reinsurer with expertise in the U.S. annuity sector, the transaction is beneficial for both the companies.
This Zacks Rank #3 (Hold) leading retirement services company had earlier entered into strategic relationships with Voya Financial VOYA, Lincoln National LNC and Aviva. The recent transaction further establishes Athene’s position as a preferred solutions provider.
Shares of Athene have lost 29.2% against its industry’s decline of 26.5% year to date. Nonetheless, its focus on expanding retail, flow reinsurance and institutional distribution channels; broadening product portfolio, capitalizing on inorganic growth opportunities, solid liquidity; and generating strong long-term return without assuming incremental credit risk should help the stock rebound.
These Stocks Are Poised to Soar Past the Pandemic
The COVID-19 outbreak has shifted consumer behavior dramatically, and a handful of high-tech companies have stepped up to keep America running. Right now, investors in these companies have a shot at serious profits. For example, Zoom jumped 108.5% in less than 4 months while most other stocks were sinking.
Our research shows that 5 cutting-edge stocks could skyrocket from the exponential increase in demand for “stay at home” technologies. This could be one of the biggest buying opportunities of this decade, especially for those who get in early.
See the 5 high-tech stocks now>>
Want the latest recommendations from Zacks Investment Research? Today, you can download 7 Best Stocks for the Next 30 Days. Click to get this free report
Lincoln National Corporation (LNC) : Free Stock Analysis Report
Prudential Financial, Inc. (PRU) : Free Stock Analysis Report
Apollo Global Management, LLC (APO) : Free Stock Analysis Report
Athene Holding Ltd. (ATH) : Free Stock Analysis Report
Voya Financial, Inc. (VOYA) : Free Stock Analysis Report
To read this article on Zacks.com click here.
Zacks Investment Research