KANSAS CITY, Mo. & LONDON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--
BATS Global Markets (BATS) today reported April volume, market share, and monthly highlights:
- BATS reported 20.7% U.S. equities market share in April, up from 10.9% a year ago.
- BATS Options reported 4.2% market share, up from 4.0% one year ago. Separately, BATS Options is the lead sponsor of the annual Options Industry Conference taking place in Austin, TX through May 2.
- In Europe, BATS Chi-X Europe reported overall market share of 21.4% with average daily notional value traded on the exchange up 11.8% versus March 2013. Over the course of the month €364bn of pan-European OTC trades were reported to BATS’ trade reporting facility, BXTR, setting a new record. In addition, BXTR posted a one day record of €24 billion of transactions on 24th April.
- In the U.S., BATS continued to make progress on the Direct Edge integration and on April 4 released the order entry and market data specifications that will be used for EDGA and EDGX within the NY5 data center when the company transitions these exchanges there in January 2015. The specifications and additional information is available at bats.com/edgeintegration and BATS will also share updates via its Twitter feed @BATSGlobal.
Additional highlights include:
- BATS Global Markets CEO Joe Ratterman spoke at the Milken Institute Global Conference on April 28 on the evolution of trading and financial markets.
- BATS Global Markets President William O’Brien spoke at the National Organization of Investment Professionals Spring Conference on April 28.
- BATS Chi-X Europe COO David Howson spoke at TradeTech 2014 on April 8 on the future of European venues.
April 2014 Volume and Market Share Summary
|U.S. Equities (BATS Exchanges – BZX, BYX, EDGA, EDGX)||April 2014|
|Overall Industry – Average Daily Consolidated Volume||6.61 billion shares|
|BATS Exchanges – Matched Market Share||20.7%|
|BATS Exchanges – Average Daily Matched Volume||1.37 billion shares|
|U.S. Equity Options (BATS Options)|
|BATS Options – Matched Market Share||4.2%|
|BATS Options – Average Daily Matched Volume||703,313 contracts|
|European Equities (BATS Chi-X Europe)|
|Pan-European Consolidated Volume1 – Average Daily Notional Value||€40.8 billion|
|BATS Chi-X Europe – Overall European Market Share||21.4%|
|BATS Chi-X Europe – Total Notional Value Traded||€174.4 billion|
|BATS Chi-X Europe – Average Daily Notional Value||€8.72 billion|
1 Based on BATS Chi-X Europe market coverage, available at www.batstrading.co.uk
Additional details regarding BATS’ volume and market share data by market – U.S. equities, U.S. equity options, and European equities – is outlined below.
U.S. Equities – BATS Exchanges Volume and Market Share Statistics
Market Quality Statistics
- During April, the BZX Exchange ranked 1st or 2nd in quality of trading in 78% of the stocks in the S&P 500® Index, as measured by effective spread, according to the BATS market quality statistics.
- Combined, the BZX Exchange, BYX Exchange, and EDGX Exchange had the lowest effective spread in 21 of the top 25 exchange-traded products.
|BATS Exchanges (BZX, BYX, EDGA, EDGX) – Market Volume Summary, Volume, and Statistics|
|April 2014||April 20132|
|BATS Exchanges percentage of overall U.S. equities market share||20.7%||10.9%|
|Average daily volume (ADV) traded on BATS Exchanges||1,364,894,065||693,509,671|
|Total industry volume||6,608,059,351||6,363,115,829|
|Total notional value traded on BATS Exchanges||$1.1 trillion||$558.8 billion|
|Average daily notional value traded on BATS Exchanges||$56.0 billion||$25.4 billion|
|BATS overall market share – Tape A securities||18.4%||9.5%|
|BATS overall market share – Tape B securities||26.2%||14.3%|
|BATS overall market share – Tape C securities||21.5%||11.5%|
|BATS overall market share in ETF trading3||26.9%||14.7%|
|BATS 1000 Index monthly performance and close||+0.01%||+1.6%|
2 BATS BZX and BYX Exchange data only
3 Based on ArcaVision.com data
To track U.S. equities market share for all major trading exchanges and off-exchange trading, please view the BATS U.S. Equities Market Volume Summary.
U.S. Equity Options – BATS Options Volume and Market Share Statistics
- The five most actively-traded options classes on BATS Options during April were the Standard & Poor’s Depositary Receipt ETF Trust (SPY), iShares Russell 2000 Index ETF (IWM), PowerShares QQQ Trust, Series 1 ETF (QQQ), Facebook Inc. (FB), and iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (VXX).
|BATS Options Market Share and Volume|
|April 2014||April 2013|
|Contracts||Market share||Contracts||Market Share|
|Average daily matched volume||703,313||4.2%||656,824||4.0%|
To track U.S. options market share for all major trading exchanges, please view the BATS U.S. Options Market Volume Summary.
European Equities – BATS Chi-X Europe Volume and Market Share Statistics
To track European market share for all major trading exchanges and other venues, please view the BATS Pan-European Market Volume Summary.
BATS Chi-X Europe Market Share by Market2
|April 2014||April 2013|
|(In millions, except percentage)|
|BATS Chi-X Europe overall market share||21.4%||22.4%|
|BATS Chi-X Europe Average daily notional value||€8,719.6||€7,798.9|
|Displayed average daily notional value||€7,845.4||€7,215.6|
|Non-displayed3 average daily notional value||€874.2||€583.3|
|London market overall||24.2%||25.8%|
|FTSE 100 securities||26.6%||29.2%|
|FTSE 250 securities||21.0%||20.5%|
|Nordic market overall||23.1%||24.9%|
|Helsinki OMXH25 securities||25.7%||24.9%|
|Stockholm OMXS30 securities||24.1%||28.2%|
|Copenhagen OMXC20 securities||20.8%||21.8%|
|Oslo OBX securities||23.7%||19.8%|
|Frankfurt market overall||24.0%||24.0%|
|DAX 30 securities||26.1%||25.6%|
|Zurich market overall||22.2%||21.1%|
|Paris market overall||22.2%||22.9%|
|CAC 40 securities||22.7%||24.9%|
|CAC Next20 securities||22.9%||16.2%|
|Brussels market overall||22.2%||19.9%|
|BEL 20 securities||23.3%||21.5%|
|Amsterdam market overall||21.3%||23.0%|
|Vienna market overall||18.9%||14.1%|
|Milan market overall||12.5%||13.4%|
|FTSE MIB securities||13.5%||14.3%|
|Madrid market overall||14.9%||12.6%|
|IBEX 35 securities||15.7%||12.8%|
|Lisbon market overall||8.9%||9.7%|
|Dublin market overall||8.7%||5.1%|
|ISEQ 20 securities||8.8%||5.1%|
|EUROSTOXX 50 securities||21.6%||22.6%|
2 Represent consolidated figures for BXE and CXE lit and dark books, unless otherwise noted.
3 BXE and CXE non-displayed order books.
About BATS Global Markets, Inc.
BATS Global Markets, Inc. is a leading global operator of securities markets, committed to Making Markets Better for traders, investors and issuers. In the U.S., BATS operates four stock exchanges – BZX, BYX, EDGX and EDGA – and regularly ranks as the top market for ETF and retail-driven liquidity. The company is an important listing venue for ETFs and other structured products and also operates BATS Options, a U.S. equity options market. In Europe, BATS operates the largest pan-European equities exchange, offering trading and listing services across 15 major European markets. With its world-class proprietary technology and relentless customer focus, BATS strives to bring efficiency, transparency and fairness to market participants. The company is headquartered in Kansas City with offices in the New York area and London. Further information on BATS can be found at www.bats.com and by following us on Twitter @BATSGlobal.
- Singapore International News