Home improvement retailers aren't front-of-mind for most Black Friday shoppers, but they should be. Home Depot and Lowe's stores are closed on Thanksgiving, but both retailers are offering online-only specials on Thanksgiving Day. Some pre-Black Friday deals are already available online and in stores. Many Black Friday deals are only good for as along as supplies last, so if you see something you can't live without at a can't-miss price, jump on it.
According to shopping experts, the best things to buy during Black Friday sales in 2017 at Home Depot and Lowe's are holiday decor, tools and, above all, appliances. "Some of the best Black Friday and holiday deals at home improvement stores like Lowe's and The Home Depot will center around large kitchen appliances such as refrigerators, washers/dryers and dishwashers," says savings expert Andrea Woroch.
Courtney Jespersen, consumer affairs expert at NerdWallet, agrees.
"Appliances are almost always your best bet for savings at home improvement stores on Black Friday," says Jespersen. "In addition to percent-off deals, shoppers are typically rewarded for buying more than one appliance with an additional discount. This usually takes the form of a gift card, rebate or instant savings."
We reached out to several deals experts including Woroch and Jespersen to see what kinds of bargains Lowe's and Home Depot have on tap for Black Friday shoppers. Here's what we found. Before digging into these holiday deals from the top two home improvement retailers, be sure to brush up on our 11 Secrets of Home Improvement Shopping at Lowe's and 12 Secrets to Shopping at Home Depot.
Black Friday Sales at Home Depot
Home Depot will be closed on Thanksgiving, but Brent Shelton of deals site BFAds.net notes that new online deals will hit the website at 6 a.m. Eastern Time on Thanksgiving Day. Stores will open their doors at 6 a.m. on Black Friday, when shoppers can find more holiday deals. Not interested in shopping on Thanksgiving or Black Friday? Instead, shop early...or late.
"Right now at Home Depot, appliance special buys are up to 40% off," says Jespersen, "This includes popular brands, like Samsung and Whirlpool. Plus, shoppers can instantly save an extra $500, depending on how many appliances they buy. For instance, buy two or more select major appliances of $498 or more and get $50 off. Or, buy six select major appliances of $498 or more and get $500 off. This deal is valid through Nov. 30, so it lasts even after Black Friday is over."
Rebecca Lehmann of the deals site Brad's Deals says look to Home Depot for other items, as well. "The discounts on artificial trees are worth a look. Lots of great deals on tools like electric drills, shop vacs, and you can pick up an [Amazon] Echo or Echo Dot while you're there," she says. "That may sound weird, but they're the key to building out a smart home, which is right up Home Depot's alley when you think about it. Along those same lines, I'd look for a good deal on Philips Hue [wireless lighting] kits there, too. Home automation is right at home here, pardon the pun."
Jeanette Pavini, savings expert at Coupons.com, likes several of the deals offered by Home Depot including big discounts on appliances for the entire month of November:
- GE 4.5 cubic foot high-efficiency top-load washer, $499 ($300 off)
- GE 7.4 cubic foot high efficiency electric dryer, $499 ($300 off)
- Frigidaire 21.9 cubic foot French door refrigerator (stainless steel), $1,398 ($1,351 off)
- Samsung 25.5 cubic foot French door refrigerator (stainless steel), $998 ($776 off)
- RIDGID 18-volt lithium ion 2-tool kit drill for $149
- Dyna-Glo 4-burner gas grill for $99
- Honeywell smart touchscreen thermostat, $79 ($70 off)
Adds Carson Yarbrough, savings and retail expert at Offers.com, "Home Depot is also offering free in-store pickup on over a million items eligible online, saving shoppers time and convenience when purchasing the items they need online, with pickup available in as little as two hours."
Shelton cherry-picked a few more Black Friday specials from Home Depot including:
- Milwaukee M18 18-volt lithium Ion cordless drill driver/impact driver combo kit, $149 (was $199)
- Dewalt 20-volt MAX lithium ion cordless combo 5-tool kit, $299 (was $399)
- Gorilla Ladders 22-foot ladder and ladder wheel kit, $99.98 (was $199)
- Husky 46-inch 9-drawer steel mobile work center, $199 (was $298)
- Husky 268-piece mechanics tool set, $99 (was $199)
- Werner 6-foot fiberglass ladder, $34.98 (was $72.26)
- 9-foot Quick Set Grand Duchess Slim Pine pre-lit, $99 (was $179)
- Poinsettias, 99 cents each
Black Friday Sales at Lowe's
It's all about appliances at Lowe's for Black Friday. Jespersen likes a deal on a Samsung top-load washer/dryer pair for $379 each (was $549 apiece). "Select appliance special values are up to 40% off," she says. "Shoppers can also get up to a $500 Lowe's gift card via rebate when they buy multiple eligible appliances."
Some appealing appliance deals Pavini has spotted at Lowe's include:
- LG 2-cubic cubic foot over-the-range microwave with sensor cooking, $249 ($50 off)
- Samsung 25.5-cubic foot French door refrigerator with ice maker (silver or black), $999 ($1,200 off)
- GE smooth surface freestanding 5-element 5.3-cubic foot self-cleaning stove, $749 ($350 off)
- Samsung smooth surface freestanding 5-element 5.9-cubic foot self-cleaning stove, $449 ($250 off)
- Samsung 50-decibel built-in dishwasher and hard food disposer, $399 ($200 off)
- GE 45-decibel built-in dishwasher with bottle wash and hard food disposer, $699 ($300 off)
Shelton dove deeper with a few non-appliance Black Friday sale items at Lowe's:
- Kobalt 227-piece standard (SAE) mechanic's tool set with hard case for $99 (was $199)
- Kobalt 347-piece standard (SAE) and metric mechanic's tool set with hard case for $399 (was $599)
- Kobalt 1000 Series 32.5-in x 26.5-in 4-drawer friction steel black tool cabinet for $49 (was $99)
- Rayovac AA 36-pack household batteries for $5.97 (was $15)
- Werner 17-ft aluminum 300-pound telescoping type multi-position Ladder for $80 (was $119)
- 7.5-foot Welch Pine pre-lit tree for $69 (was $179)
- Real Christmas trees plus $10 Lowe's gift card starting at $29.98
- Best Costco Black Friday Doorbusters and Deals 2017
- Best Things to Buy at Dollar Stores for the Holiday
- Best Costco Kirkland Products to Buy for the Holidays
Copyright 2017 The Kiplinger Washington Editors