Here we go. The first quarter earnings season is ready to kick off with the large banks.
This week, there are only about 30 companies reporting but it includes companies like Fastenal and Delta Airlines along with some of the largest banks in the United States.
Bank stocks have been volatile over the last 2 years after seeing big run-ups after the November 2016 election.
They sold off hard in the December 2018 market correction. While many have bounced off those lows, few are back to their former highs.
How much more is left in the tank?
Is the rebound already priced in?
5 Bank Stock Earnings to Watch Now
1. JP Morgan JPM is coming off a rare miss last quarter. Shares have bounced off their 2018 lows but are still treading water. Is this a buying opportunity?
2. Wells Fargo WFC has gone nowhere for 5 years but its CEO has resigned and new management at the top could light a fire under the company.
3. First Republic FRC is the “hidden” big bank reporting this week. This San Francisco-based bank has a spotty earnings beat record but shares look poised to break out to new highs. Could all of the Silicon Valley-based IPOs be fuel for this bank’s earnings in 2019?
4. Citigroup C has missed just once in the last 5 years. It has the best track record of all of the big banks. Shares got crushed in December 2018 but have bounced. Still, they are far short of recent highs. Is it still a deal?
5. Bank of America BAC has beat 11 quarters in a row but shares have gone nowhere since late 2017. With a forward P/E of 10, is now the time to get in?
Today's Best Stocks from Zacks
Would you like to see the updated picks from our best market-beating strategies? From 2017 through 2018, while the S&P 500 gained +15.8%, five of our screens returned +38.0%, +61.3%, +61.6%, +68.1%, and +98.3%.
This outperformance has not just been a recent phenomenon. From 2000 – 2018, while the S&P averaged +4.8% per year, our top strategies averaged up to +56.2% per year.
"">See their latest picks free >>
Want the latest recommendations from Zacks Investment Research? Today, you can download 7 Best Stocks for the Next 30 Days. Click to get this free report
Citigroup Inc. (C) : Free Stock Analysis Report
Bank of America Corporation (BAC) : Free Stock Analysis Report
JPMorgan Chase & Co. (JPM) : Free Stock Analysis Report
Wells Fargo & Company (WFC) : Free Stock Analysis Report
First Republic Bank (FRC) : Free Stock Analysis Report
To read this article on Zacks.com click here.
Zacks Investment Research