MONTERREY, Mexico–(BUSINESS WIRE)–$BMV #BMV–CEMEX, S.A.B. de C.V. (“CEMEX”) (NYSE: CX) announced today that, for the fourth consecutive year, the Mexican Stock Exchange (Spanish: Bolsa Mexicana de Valores or BMV) recognized CEMEX as the company with the highest overall sustainability credentials from a total of 57 listed companies. As part of this annual assessment, CEMEX also outperformed the average score of its industry.
For the eighth consecutive year, the Mexican Stock Exchange included CEMEX in its Sustainability Index, which comprises the top performers in the three pillars of sustainability: Corporate Governance, Social Responsibility, and Environmental Care.
The award ceremony was held on June 14 in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, at the 10th Issuer Forum of the Mexican Stock Exchange. Jaime Ruiz Sacristán, Chairman of the Mexican Stock Exchange, and José Oriol Bosch, CEO of the Mexican Stock Exchange, hosted the event.
“This recognition encourages CEMEX to keep on enhancing our environmental, social, and governance performance and to continue pursuing our global sustainability ambitions to generate the most value for our stakeholders,” said Vicente Saiso, CEMEX Corporate Director of Sustainability.
As reflected in the company’s latest Integrated Report, CEMEX 2018 sustainability performance highlights include:
- Zero employee fatalities for the first time, with 96% of its global operations fatality and injury free
- 27.1% alternative fuels rate, the highest in the past four years
- +13 million tons of waste from other industries seized as fuel or raw material in our production processes, representing 32 times more than the amount of waste it sent for disposal
- 21.6% reduction of specific CO2 emissions vs. 1990, avoiding ~8 million CO2 tons during the year
- Biodiversity Action Plans implemented in 91% of its quarries with high biodiversity value
- +16 million people positively impacted by its social initiatives
- 95% of its cement sites implemented Community Engagement Plans
CEMEX is a global building materials company that provides high-quality products and reliable services. CEMEX has a rich history of improving the well-being of those it serves through innovative building solutions, efficiency advancements, and efforts to promote a sustainable future. For more information, please visit: www.cemex.com
CEMEX assumes no obligation to update or correct the information contained in this press release. CEMEX is not responsible for the content of any third-party website or webpage referenced to or accessible through this press release.