Lululemon (LULU) has been a hot stock for many investors over the past few years. The company has seen tremendous earnings growth and it has become a popular pick for investors seeking a top retail name that has potential for further gains.
In fact, in 2012, LULU added about 40%, easily outpacing the retail sector and the broad S&P 500 as well. However, 2013 hasn’t been as kind to LULU as the firm has faced a big slump to start the year, and then further issues lately thanks to quality control issues.
The company actually revealed, just a few days ahead of the earnings report, that it was recalling many pants from one of its key lines due to the see-through nature of the fabric’s sheer. This information on a line that accounts for nearly 20% of the business helped to push the stock down by nearly 7% in the past five days.
Now, with earnings coming up on Thursday investors are left with a very difficult decision; buy or sell this once high-flying stock?
Reasons to Buy:
- LULU has seen impressive growth rates in the past, and its PEG is still reasonable.
- This ‘sheer’ issue with the fabric will be corrected, and now represents a great buying opportunity on a company that has plenty of room to run.
- The firm has beaten estimates in four of the previous quarters so they clearly have the ability to match even lofty expectations.
Reasons to Sell:
- LULU now only has a Zacks Rank of 3 or ‘Hold’. This is poor compared to where the company had been even a few weeks ago when the stock was Ranked as a Buy. The industry rank also isn’t very favorable, so this may be a wider problem going forward.
- Analyst estimate revisions are not favorable heading into the next quarter or the next year, with near universal agreement lower.
- Having pants that aren’t see through seems like kind of a pretty basic—and necessary-- part of the process, especially if you are spending $100 on them. Is it possible that LULU has sacrificed quality for growth and that some of the die-hards will abandon the company?
What do you think?
Is this a great time to buy a superb retailer on a dip, or is it the end of LULU’s incredible story?
Let us know in the comments below!
Want the latest recommendations from Zacks Investment Research? Today, you can download 7 Best Stocks for the Next 30 Days. Click to get this free report >>
More From Zacks.com