Have you been keeping an eye on C&C Group plc’s (ISE:GCC) upcoming dividend of €0.053 per share payable on the 14 December 2018? Then you only have 3 days left before the stock starts trading ex-dividend on the 01 November 2018. Investors looking for higher income-generating stocks to add to their portfolio should keep reading, as I take a deeper dive into C&C Group’s latest financial data to analyse its dividend attributes.
5 checks you should use to assess a dividend stock
When researching a dividend stock, I always follow the following screening criteria:
- Does it pay an annual yield higher than 75% of dividend payers?
- Has it consistently paid a stable dividend without missing a payment or drastically cutting payout?
- Has dividend per share amount increased over the past?
- Is is able to pay the current rate of dividends from its earnings?
- Will it be able to continue to payout at the current rate in the future?
How does C&C Group fare?
C&C Group has a trailing twelve-month payout ratio of 63%, which means that the dividend is covered by earnings. However, going forward, analysts expect GCC’s payout to fall to 51% of its earnings, which leads to a dividend yield of 4.9%. However, EPS should increase to €0.29, meaning that the lower payout ratio does not necessarily implicate a lower dividend payment.
When assessing the forecast sustainability of a dividend it is also worth considering the cash flow of the business. Cash flow is important because companies with strong cash flow can usually sustain higher payout ratios.
If there is one thing that you want to be reliable in your life, it’s dividend stocks and their constant income stream. Dividend payments from C&C Group have been volatile in the past 10 years, with some years experiencing significant drops of over 25%. This means that dividend hunters should probably steer clear of the stock, at least for now until the track record improves.
Compared to its peers, C&C Group produces a yield of 4.4%, which is high for Beverage stocks.
Taking into account the dividend metrics, C&C Group ticks most of the boxes as a strong dividend investment, putting it in my list of top dividend payers. Given that this is purely a dividend analysis, I urge potential investors to try and get a good understanding of the underlying business and its fundamentals before deciding on an investment. There are three key aspects you should further examine:
- Future Outlook: What are well-informed industry analysts predicting for GCC’s future growth? Take a look at our free research report of analyst consensus for GCC’s outlook.
- Valuation: What is GCC worth today? Even if the stock is a cash cow, it’s not worth an infinite price. The intrinsic value infographic in our free research report helps visualize whether GCC is currently mispriced by the market.
- Other Dividend Rockstars: Are there better dividend payers with stronger fundamentals out there? Check out our free list of these great stocks here.
To help readers see past the short term volatility of the financial market, we aim to bring you a long-term focused research analysis purely driven by fundamental data. Note that our analysis does not factor in the latest price-sensitive company announcements.
The author is an independent contributor and at the time of publication had no position in the stocks mentioned. For errors that warrant correction please contact the editor at email@example.com.