U.S. Markets close in 5 hrs 53 mins

Canadian dog walker survives three days in remote bush - thanks to her three dogs

Rozina Sabur
Canadian dog walker, Annette Poitras, could not have survived over two days in the wilderness without the help of her dogs - Coquitlam Search and Rescue

A Canadian dog walker has said she was able to survive for more than two days in the wilderness thanks to her pet border collie, boxer and beagle.

Annette Poitras, 56, was out walking her dogs on Monday when she fell, injuring herself and losing her phone in remote British Columbia.

She was not rescued until Wednesday afternoon, after an extensive search from a rescue team.

Her husband Marcel said the three dogs, which did not leave her side during the ordeal, helped to keep her alive.

Annette Poitras, could not have survived over two days in the wilderness without the help of her dogs Credit: Coquitlam Search and Rescue

Mr Poitras said that his wife and the dogs - a border collie called Chloe, a boxer named Roxy, and Bubba, a pug-beagle mix - looked after each other over two days and two nights, with no supplies and periods of "torrential" rain.

He said his wife used her coat to keep Roxy, the short-haired boxer, warm and took her lead from the dogs who dug a hole in the undergrowth to sleep in, following suit.

"One of them was cuddling [her] and one of them was on guard and the other one was looking for food," he told Global News.

Annette Poitras Credit: Coquitlam Search and Rescue

None of the dogs left her side, he added.

Over 100 rescuers combed the wilderness near Eagle Mountain to try and find Mrs Poitras after her husband reported her missing on Monday. Two helicopters were also used in the search.

Eventually, one group of rescuers heard faint cries for help and the dogs' barks and were able to locate them in a remote area.

The rescue team said she was "alive and in good condition" quite far into the Coquitlam Watershed and off trail, in dense bush and swamp.

Mr Poitras said his wife was recovering and will be released from hospital this week.

The couple are looking forward to "quiet, peace, walking dogs, visiting family" now the ordeal is over, he added.