Dividends play a key role in compounding returns over time and can form a large part of our portfolio return. Historically, Canterbury Park Holding Corporation (NASDAQ:CPHC) has paid dividends to shareholders, and these days it yields 1.8%. Let’s dig deeper into whether Canterbury Park Holding should have a place in your portfolio.
5 checks you should do on a dividend stock
If you are a dividend investor, you should always assess these five key metrics:
- Is it the top 25% annual dividend yield payer?
- Has its dividend been stable over the past (i.e. no missed payments or significant payout cuts)?
- Has dividend per share amount increased over the past?
- Can it afford to pay the current rate of dividends from its earnings?
- Will it have the ability to keep paying its dividends going forward?
How well does Canterbury Park Holding fit our criteria?
The current trailing twelve-month payout ratio for the stock is 25.2%, meaning the dividend is sufficiently covered by earnings. Furthermore, analysts have not forecasted a dividends per share for the future, which makes it hard to determine the yield shareholders should expect, and whether the current payout is sustainable, moving forward.
If there is one thing that you want to be reliable in your life, it’s dividend stocks and their constant income stream. Although CPHC’s per share payments have increased in the past 10 years, it has not been a completely smooth ride. Shareholders would have seen a few years of reduced payments in this time.
Relative to peers, Canterbury Park Holding generates a yield of 1.8%, which is on the low-side for Hospitality stocks.
Taking all the above into account, Canterbury Park Holding is a complicated pick for dividend investors given that there are a couple of positive things about it as well as negative. But if you are not exclusively a dividend investor, the stock could still be an interesting investment opportunity. Given that this is purely a dividend analysis, you should always research extensively before deciding whether or not a stock is an appropriate investment for you. I always recommend analysing the company’s fundamentals and underlying business before making an investment decision. I’ve put together three important aspects you should further research:
- Future Outlook: What are well-informed industry analysts predicting for CPHC’s future growth? Take a look at our free research report of analyst consensus for CPHC’s outlook.
- Valuation: What is CPHC worth today? Even if the stock is a cash cow, it’s not worth an infinite price. The intrinsic value infographic in our free research report helps visualize whether CPHC is currently mispriced by the market.
- Dividend Rockstars: Are there better dividend payers with stronger fundamentals out there? Check out our free list of these great stocks here.
To help readers see past the short term volatility of the financial market, we aim to bring you a long-term focused research analysis purely driven by fundamental data. Note that our analysis does not factor in the latest price-sensitive company announcements.
The author is an independent contributor and at the time of publication had no position in the stocks mentioned. For errors that warrant correction please contact the editor at email@example.com.