If you are interested in cashing in on Capital City Bank Group, Inc.’s (NASDAQ:CCBG) upcoming dividend of US$0.11 per share, you only have 4 days left to buy the shares before its ex-dividend date, 08 March 2019, in time for dividends payable on the 25 March 2019. Investors looking for higher income-generating stocks to add to their portfolio should keep reading, as I examine Capital City Bank Group’s latest financial data to analyse its dividend characteristics.
How I analyze a dividend stock
Whenever I am looking at a potential dividend stock investment, I always check these five metrics:
- Is it paying an annual yield above 75% of dividend payers?
- Has its dividend been stable over the past (i.e. no missed payments or significant payout cuts)?
- Has it increased its dividend per share amount over the past?
- Can it afford to pay the current rate of dividends from its earnings?
- Will the company be able to keep paying dividend based on the future earnings growth?
How well does Capital City Bank Group fit our criteria?
The company currently pays out 21% of its earnings as a dividend, according to its trailing twelve-month data, which means that the dividend is covered by earnings. In the near future, analysts are predicting a higher payout ratio of 26% which, assuming the share price stays the same, leads to a dividend yield of around 1.8%. Moreover, EPS should increase to $1.65. The higher payout forecasted, along with higher earnings, should lead to greater dividend income for investors moving forward.
When considering the sustainability of dividends, it is also worth checking the cash flow of a company. A company with strong cash flow, relative to earnings, can sometimes sustain a high pay out ratio.
If there is one thing that you want to be reliable in your life, it’s dividend stocks and their constant income stream. Dividend payments from Capital City Bank Group have been volatile in the past 10 years, with some years experiencing significant drops of over 25%. These characteristics do not bode well for income investors seeking reliable stream of dividends.
In terms of its peers, Capital City Bank Group has a yield of 1.7%, which is on the low-side for Banks stocks.
If you are building an income portfolio, then Capital City Bank Group is a complicated choice since it has some positive aspects as well as negative ones. But if you are not exclusively a dividend investor, the stock could still be an interesting investment opportunity. Given that this is purely a dividend analysis, I urge potential investors to try and get a good understanding of the underlying business and its fundamentals before deciding on an investment. There are three essential factors you should look at:
- Future Outlook: What are well-informed industry analysts predicting for CCBG’s future growth? Take a look at our free research report of analyst consensus for CCBG’s outlook.
- Valuation: What is CCBG worth today? Even if the stock is a cash cow, it’s not worth an infinite price. The intrinsic value infographic in our free research report helps visualize whether CCBG is currently mispriced by the market.
- Dividend Rockstars: Are there better dividend payers with stronger fundamentals out there? Check out our free list of these great stocks here.
We aim to bring you long-term focused research analysis driven by fundamental data. Note that our analysis may not factor in the latest price-sensitive company announcements or qualitative material.
If you spot an error that warrants correction, please contact the editor at firstname.lastname@example.org. This article by Simply Wall St is general in nature. It does not constitute a recommendation to buy or sell any stock, and does not take account of your objectives, or your financial situation. Simply Wall St has no position in the stocks mentioned. Thank you for reading.