Key US Equity Market Updates for October 21
Carlisle Companies and its peers
In this article, we’ll compare Carlisle to its industry peers:
- The PE (price-to-earnings) ratios of Carlisle Companies (CSL), TE Connectivity (TEL), Amphenol (APH), Leggett & Platt (LEG), and ITT (ITT) are 20.42x, 14.33x, 21.83x, 25.20x, and 11.37x, respectively.
- The PBV (price-to-book value) ratios of Carlisle, TE Connectivity, Amphenol, Leggett & Platt, and ITT are 2.37x, 2.72x, 5.08x, 5.57x and 2.58x, respectively.
- The PS (price-to-sales) ratios of Carlisle, TE Connectivity, Amphenol, Leggett & Platt, and ITT are 1.62x, 1.92x, 2.85x, 1.52x, and 1.29x, respectively.
Thus, Carlisle Companies’ peers have outperformed Carlisle based on PBV.
ETFs that invest in Carlisle Companies
The PowerShares Dynamic Building & Construction Sector Portfolio ETF (PKB) invests 4.6% of its holdings in Carlisle. The ETF tracks a quantitative index that selects building and construction companies most likely to outperform based on growth and value metrics.
The Columbia Growth Equity Strategy ETF (RPX) invests 1.8% of its holdings in Carlisle. The ETF seeks to invest primarily in US firms with above-average growth expectations. The actively managed funds use fundamental research to identify 60-80 firms across the market-cap spectrum.
The First Trust Industrials/Producer Durables AlphaDEX ETF (FXR) invests 1.5% of its holdings in Carlisle. The ETF tracks a quant-driven, tiered, equal-weighted index that selects US industrial stocks likely to outperform the sector.
The First Trust Mid Cap Growth AlphaDex ETF (FNY) invests 1.3% of its holdings in Carlisle. The ETF tracks a tiered equal-weighted index of mid-cap growth stocks selected by S&P’s AlphaDex selection methodology from the S&P 400 Index.
Comparing Carlisle Companies and its ETFs
An analysis of Carlisle and its ETFs is as follows:
- The year-to-date price movements of Carlisle, PKB, RPX, FNY, and FXR are -6.0%, 10.1%, 5.2%, 0.3%, and -11.1%, respectively.
- The PE (price-to-earnings) ratios of Carlisle, PKB, RPX, FNY, and FXR are 20.42x, 50.01x, 24.66x, 27.66x, and 14.80x, respectively.
- The PBV (price-to-book value) ratios of Carlisle, PKB, RPX, FNY, and FXR are 2.37x, 2.78x, 4.25x, 3.79x, and 2.18x, respectively.
Thus, ETFs have outperformed Carlisle Companies based on price movement, PE, and PBV.
Browse this series on Market Realist: