Foreclosure filings were down 1 percent nationally from February to March. According to RealtyTrac, a California-based firm that tracks foreclosures, these states had the highest rates of foreclosure in March. Nationally, 1 in every 859 housing units received a foreclosure filing last month.
Did your state make the top 10 foreclosure list?
Top 10 foreclosures by state (as of March 2013)
- National foreclosure filing average: 1:859 housing units
- National average foreclosure sales price: $189,293
|States1||Average price2||Ratio of foreclosures3||Rates4||Income tax5|
|$70,123||1:477||3.51%||0.587% to 5.925%|
|$154,062||1:630||3.78%||2% to 5.75%|
|$111,626||1:645||3.52%||1% to 6%|
|$158,883||1:662||3.57%||2.59% to 4.54%|
|$134,199||1:673||3.46%||Up to 7%|
- 1States: According to RealtyTrac, these states had the highest rates of foreclosure in March.
- 2Average price: The average price of all properties sold during the month that were in some state of foreclosure.
- 3Ratio of foreclosures: Ratio is based on the total number of properties entered into RealtyTrac's database during the month, broken out by type of filing.
- 4Rates: Average interest rate charged in the state for a 30-year fixed-rate mortgage based on Bankrate.com's April 10, 2013, overnight averages.
- 5Income tax: The range of taxes levied by states on personal income. The tax is based on earned and unearned income.
More From Bankrate.com