Foreclosure filings were down 7 percent nationally from August to September. According to RealtyTrac, a California-based firm that tracks foreclosures, these states had the highest rates of foreclosure in Spetember. Nationally, 1 in every 730 housing units received a foreclosure filing last month.
Did your state make the top 10 foreclosure list?
Top 10 foreclosures by state (as of September 2012)
- National foreclosure filing average: 1:730 housing units
- National average foreclosure sales price: $194,681
|States1||Average price2||Ratio of foreclosures3||Rates4||Income tax5|
|$266,530||1:361||3.46%||1.25% to 10.3%|
|$155,877||1:398||3.42%||2.59% to 4.54%|
|$106,553||1:532||3.42%||1% to 6%|
|$80,820||1:546||3.39%||0.578% to 5.925%|
|$134,271||1:603||3.35%||Up to 7%|
- 1States: According to RealtyTrac, these states had the highest rates of foreclosure in September.
- 2Average price: The average price of all properties sold during the month that were in some state of foreclosure.
- 3Ratio of foreclosures: Ratio is based on the total number of properties entered into RealtyTrac's database during the month, broken out by type of filing.
- 4Rates: Average interest rate charged in the state for a 30-year fixed-rate mortgage based on Bankrate.com's Oct. 10, 2012, overnight averages.
- 5Income tax: The range of taxes levied by states on personal income. The tax is based on earned and unearned income.
More From Bankrate.com