Foreclosure filings were up almost 1 percent nationally from July to August. According to RealtyTrac, a California-based firm that tracks foreclosures, these states had the highest rates of foreclosure in August. Nationally, 1 in every 681 housing units received a foreclosure filing last month.
Did your state make the top 10 foreclosure list?
Top 10 foreclosures by state (as of August 2012)
- National foreclosure filing average: 1:681 housing units
- National average foreclosure sales price: $189,103
|States1||Average price2||Ratio of foreclosures3||Rates4||Income tax5|
|$263,058||1:340||3.54%||1.25% to 10.3%|
|$147,157||1:360||3.56%||2.59% to 4.54%|
|$112,685||1:431||3.51%||1% to 6%|
|$77,486||1:556||3.52%||0.578% to 5.925%|
|$141,155||1:610||3.55%||Up to 6.95%|
- 1States: According to RealtyTrac, these states had the highest rates of foreclosure in August.
- 2Average price: The average price of all properties sold during the month that were in some state of foreclosure.
- 3Ratio of foreclosures: Ratio is based on the total number of properties entered into RealtyTrac's database during the month, broken out by type of filing.
- 4Rates: Average interest rate charged in the state for a 30-year fixed-rate mortgage based on Bankrate.com's Sept. 12, 2012, overnight averages.
- 5Income tax: The range of taxes levied by states on personal income. The tax is based on earned and unearned income.
More From Bankrate.com