Foreclosure filings were down 7 percent nationally from December to January. According to RealtyTrac, a California-based firm that tracks foreclosures, these states had the highest rates of foreclosure in January. Nationally, 1 in every 869 housing units received a foreclosure filing last month.
Did your state make the top 10 foreclosure list?
Top 10 foreclosures by state (as of January 2013)
- National foreclosure filing average: 1:869 housing units
- National average foreclosure sales price: $190,659
|States1||Average price2||Ratio of foreclosures3||Rates4||Income tax5|
|$161,016||1:501||3.65%||2.59% to 4.54%|
|$101,597||1:513||3.62%||1% to 6%|
|$72,432||1:612||3.44%||0.578% to 5.925%|
|$275,421||1:753||3.65%||1% to 12.30%|
- 1States: According to RealtyTrac, these states had the highest rates of foreclosure in January.
- 2Average price: The average price of all properties sold during the month that were in some state of foreclosure.
- 3Ratio of foreclosures: Ratio is based on the total number of properties entered into RealtyTrac's database during the month, broken out by type of filing.
- 4Rates: Average interest rate charged in the state for a 30-year fixed-rate mortgage based on Bankrate.com's Feb. 14, 2013, overnight averages.
- 5Income tax: The range of taxes levied by states on personal income. The tax is based on earned and unearned income.
More From Bankrate.com