The daughter of former President Bill Clinton and former Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton joined the many people online who mocked Trump’s comment, delivered during a rally in Florida on Saturday. Trump made the remark while talking about refugees in Europe.
“You look at what’s happening in Germany. You look at what’s happening last night in Sweden -- Sweden -- who would believe this? Sweden, they took in large numbers, they are having problems like they never thought possible. You look at what’s happening Brussels, you look at what’s happening all over the world,” he said.
Clinton responded on Twitter by tying Trump’s statement in with the “Bowling Green massacre,” an attack Trump counselor Kellyanne Conway invented and mentioned on television.
“What happened in Sweden Friday night? Did they catch the Bowling Green Massacre perpetrators?” Clinton wrote.
What happened in Sweden Friday night? Did they catch the Bowling Green Massacre perpetrators?
— Chelsea Clinton (@ChelseaClinton) February 19, 2017
No incident occurred in Sweden on Friday night, although Fox News host Tucker Carlson ran a segment interviewing a documentary filmmaker who claimed that crime surges in Sweden were linked to immigrants in the country. Trump is known to repeat what he sees on cable news.
More from Fortune.com
- Trump's New Immigration Ban Reportedly Targets the Same 7 Countries
- Republicans Speak Out on Freedom of the Press After President Trump Calls Media the 'Enemy'
- Fact Checking Trump's Spin On the Last Week
- Senior Trump Appointee Fired After Critical Comments
- 'That's How Dictators Get Started': John McCain Slams President Trump's Attacks on Media