China canceled trade talks with the U.S. and will no longer send Vice-Premier Liu He to Washington next week, the Wall Street Journal reported , without saying where it got the information.
A mid-level delegation from China had been due to travel to the U.S. capital to pave the way for Liu’s trip, and that visit has now been scrapped as well, the report said.
Trump slapped tariffs on $200 billion worth of imports from China and threatened more if Beijing retaliated. On Tuesday, China said it would impose levies on $60 billion worth of U.S. goods effective Sept. 24.
The new tariffs brought "new uncertainties" to China-U.S. negotiations, Gao Feng, spokesman of the Ministry of Commerce said, when answering a question at a press conference on Thursday on whether the countries would have new round of trade talks. He used exactly the same wording the ministry used in an earlier statement.
More from Bloomberg.com: Trump Says It’s ‘Time to Take a Stand on China’ After Tariff Move
Phone inquiries to the Ministry of Commerce went unanswered today.
Earlier, the Trump administration said it needs to confront China over its trading practices to defend U.S. long-term interests even as the escalation risks causing pain for American consumers. Inaction would leave the American economy and consumers worse off over the longer run, a senior administration official told reporters at a briefing on Friday, speaking on the condition of anonymity.
The latest round of duties comes on top of a 25 percent tariff already imposed on about $50 billion in Chinese goods, which triggered retaliation from Beijing on the same amount of U.S. imports.
More from Bloomberg.com
- Internal GOP Poll: 'We've Lost the Messaging Battle' on Tax Cuts
- Trump Is Denying Product Exclusions From New China Tariffs
- Rosenstein Suggested Secretly Recording Trump But Was Joking, Witness Says
Read China Cancels Trade Talks With U.S and Won’t Send Delegation to Washington: WSJ on bloombergpolitics.com