- Volume Averaged 19.2M Contracts Per Day Overall in 2019 - Record 40 Days of 25M+ Contracts Traded and Record ADV in Interest Rates, Metals and Options
- Volume Averaged 15.5M Contracts Per Day in December
CHICAGO, Jan. 3, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- CME Group, the world's leading and most diverse derivatives marketplace, today reported its December and full-year 2019 market statistics, showing it reached average daily volume (ADV) of 19.2 million contracts during the year and 15.5 million contracts during the month of December. Open interest at the end of December was 113 million contracts. Market statistics are available online in greater detail at https://cmegroupinc.gcs-web.com/monthly-volume.
Annual highlights across asset classes include:
- Record 40 trading days with volume over 25 million contracts, up 29% from 35 days in 2018
- Record Interest Rate ADV of 10.3 million contracts per day, up 4% from 2018
- Record Metals ADV of 668,000 contracts per day, up 5% from 2018
- Record Options ADV of 4 million contracts per day, up 2% from 2018
December ADVs across asset classes include:
- Interest Rate ADV of 7.1 million contracts per day
- Equity Index ADV of 3.6 million contracts per day
- Energy ADV of 2.1 million contracts per day
- Agricultural ADV of 1.13 million contracts per day
- Metals ADV of 529,000 contracts per day
- Foreign Exchange ADV of 1.02 million contracts per day
Additional December product highlights include:
- Metals ADV increased 20% from December 2018, driven by 22% growth in precious metals futures and options and 15% growth in base metals futures and options
- Agricultural ADV increased 8% from December 2018
As the world's leading and most diverse derivatives marketplace, CME Group (www.cmegroup.com) enables clients to trade futures, options, cash and OTC markets, optimize portfolios, and analyze data – empowering market participants worldwide to efficiently manage risk and capture opportunities. CME Group exchanges offer the widest range of global benchmark products across all major asset classes based on interest rates, equity indexes, foreign exchange, energy, agricultural products and metals. The company offers futures and options on futures trading through the CME Globex® platform, fixed income trading via BrokerTec and foreign exchange trading on the EBS platform. In addition, it operates one of the world's leading central counterparty clearing providers, CME Clearing. With a range of pre- and post-trade products and services underpinning the entire lifecycle of a trade, CME Group also offers optimization and reconciliation services through TriOptima, and trade processing services through Traiana.
CME Group, the Globe logo, CME, Chicago Mercantile Exchange, Globex, and, E-mini are trademarks of Chicago Mercantile Exchange Inc. CBOT and Chicago Board of Trade are trademarks of Board of Trade of the City of Chicago, Inc. NYMEX, New York Mercantile Exchange and ClearPort are trademarks of New York Mercantile Exchange, Inc. COMEX is a trademark of Commodity Exchange, Inc. BrokerTec, EBS, TriOptima, and Traiana are trademarks of BrokerTec Europe LTD, EBS Group LTD, TriOptima AB, and Traiana, Inc., respectively. Dow Jones, Dow Jones Industrial Average, S&P 500 and S&P are service and/or trademarks of Dow Jones Trademark Holdings LLC, Standard & Poor's Financial Services LLC and S&P/Dow Jones Indices LLC, as the case may be, and have been licensed for use by Chicago Mercantile Exchange Inc. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
SOURCE CME Group