U.S. Markets closed

Colts defensive end Chris McCain charged with battery, denies allegations

Indianapolis Colts defensive end Chris McCain has denied allegations that he committed battery after two charges were brought against him this week stemming from a January incident in Los Angeles. (AP/Seth Wenig)

Indianapolis Colts defensive end Chris McCain was charged with two counts of misdemeanor battery this week following an incident on Jan. 7 in Los Angeles when he was still a member of the Los Angeles Chargers.

McCain is accused of spitting on and grabbing the neck of the female victim, according to Los Angeles City Attorney documents obtained by the Indianapolis Star. The charges were filed this week, and he is scheduled to be arraigned in Los Angeles on July 13.

However, McCain denied these allegations on Twitter on Tuesday afternoon.

“Time out. Don’t not believe that mess,” McCain tweeted. “I’m just as confused ’cause Idk what is going on.”



He also strongly denied the allegations to the Indianapolis Star, too, telling them that he had never heard of the alleged victim and was unaware of the charges until he saw news reports on Tuesday.

“She is lying,” McCain told the Indianapolis Star.

“No one has contacted me about anything. No cops, no one. No one has talked to me.”

The Colts, who signed the 26-year-old last month, released a statement on Tuesday night saying they are looking into the incident.


“We’re aware of this evening’s reports regarding Chris McCain and are gathering all available information,” the Colts said in a statement. “We take these matters very seriously and we will provide updates as appropriate.”

McCain is entering his fifth season in the NFL. He recorded 17 tackles and five sacks last season with the Chargers.

More from Yahoo Sports:
Warriors and Cavs united on one front: A Trump visit
Convicted child molester presents dilemma for MLB
Terez Paylor: As Trump wages war on NFL, players grow tired of ‘lies’
Report: Trump ‘angry’ that Brady skipped 2017 visit