U.S. Markets open in 1 hr 22 mins

CPSC recalls about 55,000 Avon popcorn makers

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Consumer Product Safety Commission on Thursday issued a voluntary recall for about 55,000 microwave popcorn makers sold by Avon, because of the potential for fire and burns.

The CPSC said the recall involves popcorn makers sold in the U.S. for about $13 through Avon sales representatives and the company's website between October and February.

The popcorn makers were made in Taiwan and have the item number 474-105. They consist of a clear tub and a yellow vented lid, the CPSC said.

According to the CPSC, when cooked too long, the popcorn in the poppers can overheat and ignite, which could cause a fire or burns. Avon has received 20 reports of the popcorn makers overheating, including two involving fires that resulted in damage to microwave ovens. No injuries have been reported.

Consumers should stop using the popcorn makers immediately and contact Avon to receive a copy of updated instructions on how to safely use them.

Shares of Avon Products Inc. fell 24 cents to $23.50 in afternoon trading.