REDWOOD SHORES, CA--(Marketwired - Feb 25, 2014) - Oracle (
CSX Corporation, a premier transportation company, upgraded 400 of its Oracle databases to take advantage of new capabilities. To ensure a smooth transition, CSX used Oracle Real Application Testing, an Oracle Database option, in conjunction with Oracle Enterprise Manager to perform comprehensive testing of the upgrade. With this technology CSX completed its upgrade more than twice as fast as its previous database upgrade while avoiding business disruption and mitigating risk.
- To maintain business continuity, CSX Corporation, a premier transportation company, used Oracle Real Application Testing to upgrade its Oracle Database infrastructure.
- With more than 400 databases supporting critical commercial, packaged and proprietary business applications, including payroll, dispatching, and a customer-facing order entry system, CSX wanted to take advantage of the enhanced functionality in Oracle Database while minimizing the business impact and downtime during the migration.
- CSX turned to Oracle Real Application Testing to streamline the upgrade process and help ensure flawless execution.
- With Oracle Real Application Testing, CSX completed the database upgrade in less than half the time required for the company's previous database upgrade that involved a database footprint that was 30 percent smaller.
- Oracle Real Application Testing enabled CSX to fully assess the impact of infrastructure changes and fine tune queries in a test environment before deploying the change in production, reducing risk, avoiding disruption and rework, and accelerating the overall upgrade process.
- CSX used Oracle Enterprise Manager to analyze performance data from Oracle Real Application Testing's SQL Performance Analyzer to evaluate the impact of both prepackaged and custom SQL workloads during the Oracle Database upgrades in its Oracle E-Business Suite environment. By capturing SQL workloads for different peak periods into SQL Tuning Sets, CSX was able to create a comprehensive library of SQL queries that can be used for validation of changes. CSX plans to use Oracle Real Application Testing on an ongoing basis to test changes in the new upgraded environment.
- In addition, CSX has implemented Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c to monitor and manage a combination of more than 500 Oracle Database and Oracle Real Application Clusters instances. Oracle Enterprise Manager provides centralized, standardized and reliable monitoring, which has allowed CSX to efficiently manage the growth in the number of servers and databases.
- CSX is also using the Oracle Advanced Compression option of Oracle Database to enable 7x data compression rates, which has improved performance, reduced storage requirements by 21 percent, and stemmed storage growth by 19 percent.
- CSX has been in production with Oracle Real Application Testing since 2012.
- "To help ensure a seamless upgrade, we needed a solution that would allow us to rapidly adopt new technologies that add value to our business while minimizing risk," said Maritza Gonzalez, Technical Director, Data Management, CSX Corporation. "Oracle Enterprise Manager and Oracle Real Application Testing gave us the test environment needed that allowed us to mitigate post-upgrade performance issues and ensure a successful upgrade of 400 databases. The fact that the upgrade was completed with no business disruption and in half the time of our last upgrade was a crucial win for our organization."
- Oracle Real Application Testing
- Oracle Enterprise Manager
- Oracle Database
- Study: Forrester Consulting Total Economic Impact™ of Oracle Real Application Testing
- Follow Oracle Enterprise Manager on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, LinkedIn, Blog
- CSX Corporation
Oracle engineers hardware and software to work together in the cloud and in your data center. For more information about Oracle (
Oracle and Java are registered trademarks of Oracle and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.