U.S. Markets open in 2 hrs 54 mins

Day Ahead: Top 3 Things to Watch

Investing.com - Here are 3 things that could rock the markets tomorrow.

1. Disney , Chesapeake Energy (NYSE:CHK) Ready Earnings Reports

Walt Disney (NYSE:DIS) will report earnings after the closing bell on Tuesday.

Ahead of Disney's earnings, investor expectations are running high that the entertainment company will report a good quarter, led by the success of its blockbuster movie "Avengers: Endgame" at the box office and a jump in attendance at Disneyland.

Disney (NYSE:DIS) is expected to report earnings of $1.72 a share on revenue of $21.46 billion.

As well as earnings, commentary on the Disney+, the company's streaming service set to launch Nov. 12, will also be closely watched.

Disney shares fell 2.4% on Monday but are still up 26.1% on the year.

Oil-and-gas producer Chesapeake Energy (NYSE:CHK), meanwhile, is expected to poast a loss of 6 cents per share on $2.4 billion in revenue. It reports before the bell.

Chesapeake has struggled in the last few years in the face of volatile oil and natural gas prices and a heavy debt load. Shares are off 21.9% this year after rising 47.6% in the first quarter.

2. China's Yuan, Aussie-Dollar to Remain in Focus

The yuan likely will continue to draw close attention after a plunge on Monday to more than 7 per U.S. dollar, a level where Chinese policymakers had previously supported its value.

USD/CNY ended the day up 1.62% to 7.05 after the People's Bank of China set its daily reference rate for yuan at 6.92, the weakest rate since December last year.

China's decision to weaken its currency, however, in the wake of escalating trade tensions, could be a one-off.

"Beijing is well aware of the negative costs linked to currency depreciation, from capital markets to capital outflows," said Mark Haefele, global chief investment officer at UBS Wealth Management. "Policymakers appear wary of unhinging expectations for yuan stability."

3. JOLTs Data on Tap

Following last week’s employment report, figures from the Job Openings and Labor Turnover Survey (JOLTs) will be in focus for further insight into hiring trends.

The Labor Department will release its June JOLTs report at 10:00 AM ET (14:00 GMT).

On average, economists expect that job openings rose to 7.45 million, according to forecasts compiled by Investing.com.

St. Louis Fed President James Bullard is set to deliver a speech at 12 PM ET (16:00 GMT) on the U.S. economy on Tuesday amid growing expectations the Fed will cut rates in September.

According to investing.com's Fed Rate Monitor Tool, 73% of traders expect the central bank to lower rates by a quarter point for the second time this year in September. The remaining 27% are expecting a half-point reduction.

Related Articles

Walmart faces pressure to stop gun sales after latest U.S. mass shootings

Ackman's Pershing Square exited ADP and UTX investments: source

U.S. stocks lower at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average down 2.90%