Exploring Flowers Foods' Falling Income in 3Q15
Flowers Foods and its peers
In this article, we’ll compare Flowers Foods (FLO) with its peers. The PE (price-to-earnings) ratios of Flowers Foods, Campbell Soup (CPB), and Panera Bread (PNRA) are 30.6x, 22.2x, and 29.7x, respectively. Meanwhile, the PBV (price-to-book value) ratios of Flowers Foods, Campbell Soup, Panera Bread, and Post Holdings (POST) are 4.7x, 10.8x, 7.7x, and 1.4x, respectively.
The PS (price-to-sales) ratios of Flowers Foods, Campbell Soup, Panera Bread, and Post are 1.5x, 1.9x, 1.6x, and 0.87x, respectively.
So, most peers outperformed Flowers Foods based on PBV and PS. However, Flowers Foods outperformed its peers based on PE.
ETFs that invest in Flowers Foods
The ETFs are as follows:
- The PowerShares Dynamic Food & Beverage ETF (PBJ) invests 3.1% of its portfolio in Flowers Foods.
- The First Trust Consumer Staples AlphaDEX ETF (FXG) invests 2.5% of its portfolio in Flowers Foods. The ETF tracks an index of large-cap and mid-cap US consumer staples stocks.
- The PowerShares DWA Consumers Staples Momentum ETF (PSL) invests 1.4% of its portfolio in Flowers Foods. The ETF tracks an index of US consumer cyclical firms selected and weighted by price momentum.
Comparing Flowers Foods and its ETFs
Now let’s compare Flowers Foods with the ETFs that invest in it:
- The year-to-date price movements of Flowers Foods, PBJ, FXG, and PSL are 41.5%, 8.4%, 2.9%, and 12.8%, respectively.
- The PE ratios of Flowers Foods, PBJ, FXG, and PSL are 30.6x, 24.2x, 19.0x, and 24.1x, respectively.
- The PBV ratios of Flowers Foods, PBJ, FXG, and PSL are 4.7x, 2.9x, 3.2x, and 5.2x, respectively.
And so it seems that Flowers Foods outperformed its ETFs based on price movement, PE, and PBV.
Browse this series on Market Realist: