Denzel Washington proved no match for Disney's "Wreck-It Ralph."
The animated cartoon nearly doubled the box office earnings of Washington's "Flight."
Despite the Ralph's stellar weekend and reviews, it didn't out earn the large $66.3 million opening weekend of Disney and Pixar's summer hit "Brave." However, the film will easily be among Disney's top money earners of the year.
In comparison to Washington's other recent films "The Book of Eli," "Unstoppable," and "Safe House," "Flight" finds itself on the lower end of the spectrum.
Meanwhile, Russell Crowe's "The Man with the Iron Fists" receives a paltry debut for Universal. With competition from "Skyfall" out this Friday, the film will take a beating in week two.
Out of the top ten this week are Matthew Fox's "Alex Cross" which has earned $23 million of its estimated $35 million budget.
Summit's "Sinister" and Nickelodeon's tween comedy "Fun Size" also fall out of the top films. And, "Chasing Mavericks" continues to be a wash out for Fox earning $1.2 million.
Here are this weekend's winners and losers at the box office:
10. "Silent Hill: Revelation 3D" barely made it into the top ten with $3.3 million. In week two, the film has earned $13.9 million of an estimated $20 million budget.
9. Kevin James' "Here Comes the Boom" earns $3.6 million in week four. The film's $35.6 million total gross is less than half that of "Zookeeper" at the same point. Meanwhile, "Paul Blart: Mall Cop" grossed $98.8 million at the one month point in theaters.
8. "Paranormal Activity 4" begins to wear off its Halloween welcome earning $4.3 million. The low-budget Paramount horror flick is still tracking south of its predecessors. "Paranormal Activity 3" grossed $95.1 million by the end of week three.
7. Adam Sandler's "Hotel Transylvania" dipped four spots with $4.5 million knocking it out of the top three for the first time in its six-week run. The animated film has earned $137.5 million to date.
6. Tom Hanks and Halle Berry's "Cloud Atlas" took a 45.4% dip earning $5.2 million. The film, based off the 2004 novel consisting of six smaller stories has earned $18.2 million in two weeks.
5. Liam Neeson's "Taken 2" continues it's five-week run with another $6 million. The sequel to the 2008 action thriller has earned more than $336.5 million worldwide.
4. Eli Roth's "The Man with the Iron Fists" featuring Lucy Liu and Russell Crowe came up short with $8.2 million. The film cost an estimated $15 million to produce.
3. Ben Affleck continues his run with "Argo." The film, based on a CIA-Canadian secret operation in Iran, has earned $89.3 million worldwide during its one month in theaters.
2. Denzel Washington's "Flight" opened to $25 million, a stronger debut than "The Taking of Pelham 1, 2, 3" and "Unstoppable," but far less than the $40.1 million gross of February's "Safe House."
1. Disney's "Wreck-It Ralph" not only won over the approval of critics but viewers as well with $49.1 million. The film performed slightly better than Disney's 2010 animated feature, "Tangled" ($48.7 million). With a film that appeals to virtually everyone with the Monster's Inc-like relationship of Sully and Boo in Ralph and Venelope, the film should continue its box-office dominance in lieu of "Skyfall" this upcoming weekend.
SEE ALSO: How much has-been celebrities charge per appearance >
More From Business Insider