Dividends can be underrated but they form a large part of investment returns, playing an important role in compounding returns in the long run. Hengxin Technology Ltd (SGX:I85) has returned to shareholders over the past 10 years, an average dividend yield of 2.00% annually. Should it have a place in your portfolio? Let’s take a look at Hengxin Technology in more detail. View our latest analysis for Hengxin Technology
Here’s how I find good dividend stocks
When assessing a stock as a potential addition to my dividend Portfolio, I look at these five areas:
- Does it pay an annual yield higher than 75% of dividend payers?
- Does it consistently pay out dividends without missing a payment of significantly cutting payout?
- Has the amount of dividend per share grown over the past?
- Is is able to pay the current rate of dividends from its earnings?
- Will it be able to continue to payout at the current rate in the future?
How well does Hengxin Technology fit our criteria?
Hengxin Technology has a payout ratio of 8.46%, which means that the dividend is covered by earnings. Furthermore, analysts have not forecasted a dividends per share for the future, which makes it hard to determine the yield shareholders should expect, and whether the current payout is sustainable, moving forward. If dividend is a key criteria in your investment consideration, then you need to make sure the dividend stock you’re eyeing out is reliable in its payments. Dividend payments from Hengxin Technology have been volatile in the past 10 years, with some years experiencing significant drops of over 25%. This means that dividend hunters should probably steer clear of the stock, at least for now until the track record improves. Compared to its peers, Hengxin Technology generates a yield of 7.56%, which is high for communications stocks.
Taking all the above into account, Hengxin Technology is a complicated pick for dividend investors given that there are a couple of positive things about it as well as negative. However, if you are not strictly just a dividend investor, the stock could still offer some interesting investment opportunities. Given that this is purely a dividend analysis, I urge potential investors to try and get a good understanding of the underlying business and its fundamentals before deciding on an investment. I’ve put together three relevant factors you should further examine:
1. Historical Performance: What has I85’s returns been like over the past? Go into more detail in the past track record analysis and take a look at the free visual representations of our analysis for more clarity.
2. Management Team: An experienced management team on the helm increases our confidence in the business – take a look at who sits on Hengxin Technology’s board and the CEO’s back ground.
3. Dividend Rockstars: Are there better dividend payers with stronger fundamentals out there? Check out our free list of these great stocks here.
To help readers see pass the short term volatility of the financial market, we aim to bring you a long-term focused research analysis purely driven by fundamental data. Note that our analysis does not factor in the latest price sensitive company announcements.
The author is an independent contributor and at the time of publication had no position in the stocks mentioned.