An Analysis of Consumer Sector Outliers VSTO, HAR, RAI, and SNE
Vista Outdoor and its peers
In this article, we’ll compare Vista Outdoor (VSTO) with its peers as of January 5, 2016. First, let’s compare Vista Outdoor and its peers based on PE (price-to-earnings) ratios:
- Vista Outdoor — 41.7x
- Olin (OLN) — 18.6x
- Sturm, Ruger & Co. (RGR) — 41.8x
Now let’s look at PBV (price-to-book value) ratios:
- Vista Outdoor — 1.8x
- Orbital ATK (OA) — 2.9x
- Olin — 1.3x
- Sturm, Ruger & Co. — 5.7x
Thus, most of Vista Outdoor’s peers have outperformed it based on PBV.
ETFs that invest in Vista Outdoor
The Guggenheim Spin-Off ETF (CSD) invests 4.6% of its holdings in Vista Outdoor. The ETF tracks an index of US-listed stocks spun off from corporate parents over the past 30 months. The index holds companies of all sizes.
The Guggenheim S&P MidCap 400 Pure Growth ETF (RFG) invests 1.6% of its holdings in Vista Outdoor. The ETF tracks a factor-weighted index of the S&P 400 companies exhibiting the strongest growth factors.
Vista Outdoor and its ETFs
Now let’s compare Vista Outdoor and its ETFs:
- The year-to-date price movements of VSTO, CSD, and RFG are 4.9%, -10.3%, and -2.3%, respectively.
- The PE ratios of VSTO, CSD, and RFG are 41.7x, 21.8x, and 22.9x, respectively.
- The PBV ratios of VSTO, CSD, and RFG are 1.8x, 1.7x, and 3.5x, respectively.
Thus, Vista Outdoor has outperformed its ETFs based on price movement and PE.
Browse this series on Market Realist: