BEDFORD, MA--(Marketwired - Aug 19, 2014) - EnterpriseDB (EDB), the leading worldwide provider of enterprise-class Postgres products and Oracle database compatibility solutions, today announced a free, ready-to-code development environment on Amazon Web Services that is optimized for using the NoSQL capabilities in PostgreSQL to build Web 2.0 applications.
The new development environment, Postgres Extended Datatype Developer Kit (PGXDK), makes it easier for developers of any skill level to use Postgres for the kinds of applications that until recently required a specialized NoSQL-only solution. Postgres has expanded its capabilities for handling document databases, for example, with advanced support for JSON and JSONB. On key workloads, Postgres has been proven to outperform the most popular NoSQL-only solution.
The NoSQL-optimized environment comes with the core components that developers need to work with Postgres already pre-integrated and pre-configured. Plus, it features a sample application with code examples to help developers get started. The free instances on Amazon's AWS position developers to tap the powers of relational technology to build applications in an iterative, agile development framework.
The new toolkit will be unveiled during a Sept. 10 webinar, NoSQL Applications for the Enterprise -- Do More with Postgres.
"Application developers need solutions that help them work faster and this Amazon AMI-based environment means they get up and running more quickly and have a much more powerful foundation to work on," said Marc Linster, Senior Vice President, Products and Services, at EnterpriseDB. "Postgres with NoSQL support has become a superior choice for enterprise applications because it can combine schema-less data with relational tables bridging structured and unstructured data."
Postgres Solves NoSQL-Only Challenges
NoSQL-only solutions pose a host of challenges, complexities and even serious risks to the enterprise. "By 2017, 50% of data stored in NoSQL DBMSs will be damaging to the business due to a lack of applied information governance policies and programs," according to Gartner.*
Using Postgres to build applications to support unstructured data eliminates some of the challenges organizations are facing as the use of NoSQL-only solutions rise. By using the core enterprise relational database, organizations can:
- Do more with Postgres: Postgres' NoSQL capabilities provide the flexibility to handle conventional SQL data, documents and key-value pairs in a high-performance, ACID-compliant DBMS that supports most workloads.
- Increase developer productivity: Developers using Postgres are no longer bound by the confines of a rigid data model. With the ability to work with both structured and unstructured data, developers can build demanding applications utilizing standardized business logic that can also evolve with agile development objectives.
- Eliminate data silos: Applications built with NoSQL-only platforms tend to become isolated point solutions that create disparate pockets of data throughout the enterprise.
- Ensure long-term data integrity: By eliminating data silos, enterprises can ensure data remains a valued asset and can focus on data reuse and long-term strategic gain.
- Maintain control: As a standards-based SQL database, Postgres provides uniform development methods and larger pools of skilled talent, and it enables enterprises to centralize application business logic and implement and enforce standards.
The Developer Toolkit
*Gartner, Does Your NoSQL DBMS Result in Information Governance, by Nick Heudecker and Ted Friedman, December 3, 2013.
Connect with EnterpriseDB
Learn more about EnterpriseDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com
Read the blog: http://blogs.enterprisedb.com/
Follow us on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/enterprisedb
Become a fan on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/EnterpriseDB?ref=ts
Join us on Google+: https://plus.google.com/108046988421677398468
Connect on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/company/enterprisedb
About EnterpriseDB Corporation
EnterpriseDB is the leading worldwide provider of Postgres software and services that enable enterprises to reduce their reliance on costly proprietary solutions and slash their database spend by 80% or more. With powerful performance and security enhancements for PostgreSQL, sophisticated management tools for global deployments and Oracle compatibility, EnterpriseDB software supports both mission and non-mission critical enterprise applications. More than 2,500 enterprises, governments and other organizations worldwide use EnterpriseDB software, support, training and professional services to integrate open source software into their existing data infrastructures. Based in Bedford, MA, EnterpriseDB is backed by top-tier venture capitalists and strategic investors like Red Hat and IBM. For more information, please visit http://www.enterprisedb.com.