Investors got an unfriendly reminder of the looming Euro zone debt woes last week as resurfacing fears surrounding rising yields on Spanish government bonds paved the way for profit taking across the board. Earnings season at home remains a “mixed bag” judging by Wall Street’s movement last week, although surprises have been predominantly upbeat. As such, we anticipate for volatility levels to remain elevated across equity markets this week as earnings season continues full steam ahead, coupled with a plateful of important economic releases including GDP as well as an FOMC announcement [see Free Report: How To Pick The Right ETF Every Time].
Below, we highlight ETFs that may see an increase in trading activity as relevant market data is released and evaluated by investors:
- SPDR Homebuilders ETF (XHB): This ETF could see major swings in price throughout the week as a number of housing data releases hit the street, including Case-Shiller home price index on and new home sales on Monday, as well as pending home sales on Thursday.
- Market Vectors Retail ETF (RTH): U.S. retail stocks may bolster this ETF higher on Tuesday if the latest consumer confidence data ignites a rally; analysts are expecting for the figure to come in at 70, versus April’s reading of 70.2
- Vanguard Industrials Index Fund (VIS): This sector-specific ETF could see an increase in trading volumes on Wednesday as investors digest the latest durable goods orders data; analysts are expecting for the figure to come in at -2.9%, versus the 2.4% reading last month.
- S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (VXX): Volatility levels are likely to remain escalated this week, and especially on Wednesday afternoon following the FOMC announcement as well as Ben Bernanke’s press conference. VXX could see a big swing to the upside if uncertainty leads to panic selling.
- UltraShort Barclays 20+ Year Treasury (TBT): This popular inverse Treasury ETF could see a massive rally on Friday if an upbeat U.S. GDP report sparks a sell-off across safe haven assets. Analysts are expecting for economic growth to come in at 2.7% versus the previous reading of 3.0%.
After another shaky week for stocks, we feel its prudent to position ourselves for more volatility. However, we still feel that equity market exposure is well worth the risks, considering that major indexes are still above key technical support levels. Below, we have highlighted three technical trading ideas for the upcoming week. Note that most of these recommendations require active management as they are only relevant for a very short period of time. As always, investors of all experience levels are advised to use stop-loss orders and practice disciplined profit taking techniques.
Actionable ETF Idea #1: Long FUD Disclosure: No positions at time of writing.
Pro Membership Required to Continue Reading
Disclosure: No positions at time of writing.
- Access to 25+ all-ETF, fully-backtested model portfolios . Whether you're a long-term, buy-and-hold investor or a more active trader looking to establish a tactical position, our collection of ETFdb Portfolios has something for everyone.
- Objective, in-depth analysis and ranking of every ETF on more than 20 different metrics. From historical performance to expenses to volatility, the custom ETF Scorecards show how every ETF stacks up against the competition.
- ETF Edge , the monthly Pro newsletter, delivers the latest ETF news and commentary, along with investment ideas, reviews of new exchange-traded products, and access to a proprietary database of ETF performance data.
- Get Actionable ETF Investment Ideas every week with access to ETF Insider , the 3x weekly newsletter that combines technical and fundamental ETF analysis to identify compelling opportunities.
- Dive deep into exciting corners of the ETF market with Special ETF Research Reports that analyze the investment cases and options for everything from gold to emerging markets to dividend strategies.
- Get high quality analyst research with 60+ ETFdb Category Reports that highlight price drivers, factors to consider, and intriguing ETF options for every asset class and strategy.
- Full access to the ETF Head-To-Head Comparison Tool , allowing you to see how multiple products compare side-by-side in terms of fees, returns, volatility, and more.
- Enhanced ETF Screener download capabilities , including the option to export results from this proprietary tool to a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet.
- ETF Insider: Do Fundamentals Justify The Wall Street Rally?
- Daily ETF Roundup: XHB Rebounds, VXX Inches Lower
- Daily ETF Roundup: VXX Jumps With Sell-Off, XHB Plunges Lower
- ETF Insider: Progress In Greece Will Tip Markets
- Daily ETF Roundup: XHB Pops On Data, VXX Drops As Bulls Return