Despite a number of choppy trading sessions on Wall Street last week, major equity indexes remain in an uptrend as buyers have returned on every dip. Mixed economic reports at home will continue to take a backseat to headlines from Europe as the debt crisis overseas remains a much more important catalyst for global markets. Confidence is surely building as the latest Spanish stress-test was well received, although a continuing economic slowdown in China will likely add to the looming clouds of uncertainty. Fed minutes and employment data at home coupled with a European Central Bank rate decision should lead to an eventful week of trading on Wall Street [see Free Report: Seven Simple & Cheap All-ETF Model Portfolios].
Below, we highlight ETFs that may see an increase in trading activity as relevant market data is released and evaluated by investors:
- First Trust NASDAQ Global Auto Index Fund (CARZ): Car manufacturers may rally higher following the latest motor vehicle sales report due out after tomorrow’s opening bell. Analysts are expecting for September’s figure to come in unchanged at 14.5 million.
- IndexIQ IQ Australia Small Cap ETF (KROO): Australian stocks will come into the spotlight as investors digest the latest economic commentary following the overnight Reserve Bank of Australia rate decision. KROO could be in for a volatile session if the benchmark rate deviates from analysts’ expectations of 3.5%.
- WisdomTree Euro Debt Fund (EU): European bonds will likely remain on edge ahead of Thursday’s European Central Bank rate decision. While the benchmark rate is expected to hold steady at 0.75%, economic commentary following the rate decision itself could serve as a major catalyst on the day.
- Barclays iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (VXX): Volatility levels could end the week on a high note following the reaction to the latest monthly U.S. employment report. Analysts are expecting for the unemployment rate to climb to 8.2% from 8.1% previously.
Last week, the S&P 500 Index corrected lower and ultimately held above the 1,430 level, while the Volatility Index (VIX) failed to rally past the 17 mark. In the meantime, the U.S. dollar index and Treasuries crept higher, although pressures from these safe havens clearly wasn’t enough to inspire a steep sell-off on Wall Street. As such, this week should provide an opportunity for the bulls to resume the uptrend, however, a break below key support could welcome a deep pullback. For the S&P 500 Index, immediate support comes in at the 1,430 level while major resistance lies at the 1,475 mark.
Below, we have highlighted three fundamental trading ideas for the upcoming week. Note that most of these recommendations require active management as they are only relevant for a very short period of time. As always, investors of all experience levels are advised to use stop-loss orders and practice disciplined profit-taking techniques.
Actionable ETF Idea #1: Long XLI
Pro Membership Required to Continue Reading To continue reading this article, you must be an ETFdb Pro member. Please login or begin your 7-day free trial to continue reading. There are several benefits to becoming an ETFdb Pro member today:
- Access to 45+ All-ETF model portfolios . Whether you're a long-term, buy-and-hold investor or a more active trader looking to establish a tactical position, our collection of ETFdb Portfolios has something for everyone.
- Get objective, in-depth, custom research on every ETF. Our ETFdb Realtime Ratings show you exactly where each fund stacks up next to the competition.
- ETF Analyzer allows investors to compile and download custom analysis reports, comparing any number of potential investments on the basis of cost, dividend yield, portfolio diversity, and historical performance, among other metrics.
- ETF Edge , the monthly Pro newsletter, delivers the latest ETF news and commentary, along with investment ideas, industry news, and reviews of new exchange-traded products.
- Get Actionable ETF Investment Ideas every week with access to ETF Insider, the 2x weekly newsletter that combines technical and fundamental ETF analysis to identify compelling opportunities.
- Pro members have Unlimited Excel Download capabilities across the entire database; users can easily download more than 200 data filled paged.
- Get high quality analyst research with 60+ ETFdb Category Reports that highlight price drivers, factors to consider, and intriguing ETF options for every asset class and strategy.
- Enhanced ETF Screener download capabilities , including the option to export results from this proprietary tool to a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet.
Disclosure: No positions at time of writing.
- 3 ETFs To Watch This Week: XLI, EU, VXX
- 17 ETFs For Day Traders
- 3 ETFs To Watch This Week: EWUS, VXX, XLI
- 3 ETFs To Watch This Week: EWL, XLI, EU
- 3 ETFs To Watch This Week: VXX, GERJ, TLT