After a positive finish last week, traders kicked off this session with profit taking as earnings jitters are undoubtedly setting in ahead of Alcoa’s performance report this Tuesday. Looming threats from Europe will continue to eat away at investors’ confidence at the first sign of trouble, although the ECB’s commitment to a low-rate policy has certainly served a major fundamental catalyst in bringing back the bulls to this region. At home, corporate earnings will take the spotlight as investors look for reassurance from the equity space that the recovery is picking up steam following Friday’s encouraging employment report [see Free Seven Simple & Cheap All-ETF Model Portfolios].
Below, we highlight ETFs that may see an increase in trading activity as relevant market data is released and evaluated by investors:
- Global X Aluminum ETF (ALUM): This ETF should see an increase in trading activity as earnings season kicks off with Alcoa’s quarterly results this Tuesday. Analysts are expecting for the aluminum bellwether to rake in $5.6 billion in revenues and generate earnings of 24 cents per share.
- IndexIQ Australia Small Cap ETF (KROO): With Aussie employment data slated to hit the street Wednesday night, this ETF could be set for a volatile open the following day. Analysts are expecting for Australian unemployment to have increased to 5.3% versus the previous reading of 5.1%.
- WisdomTree Dreyfus Chinese Yuan Fund (CYB): The Chinese yuan will come into focus Thursday morning as investors react to the overnight new yuan loans data. Analysts are forecasting $680 billion in new loans, marking a modest contraction from the previous reading of $703.9 billion.
- State Street SPDR S&P Retail ETF (XRT): The domestic consumer discretionary sector, and retail stocks in particular, will come into focus this Friday following the latest consumer sentiment data. Analysts are expecting for the University of Michigan confidence reading to come in at 78 versus the previous reading of 78.3.
The S&P 500 Index continues to hold its uptrend although it is a bit concerning to see how this benchmark failed to summit the 1,474 high last week despite encouraging data on Friday. Longer-term U.S. Treasuries and the Volatility Index (VIX) are both sitting on support levels, perhaps suggesting that a bounce higher for these assets could translate into profit taking pressures on Wall Street. Look for the S&P 500 Index to close above the 1,430 mark this week, otherwise a steep correction will likely emerge if this key technical support level is breached.
Below, we have highlighted three fundamental trading ideas for the upcoming week. Note that most of these recommendations require active management as they are only relevant for a very short period of time. As always, investors of all experience levels are advised to use stop-loss orders and practice disciplined profit-taking techniques.
Actionable ETF Idea #1: Long XOP
Pro Membership Required to Continue Reading To continue reading this article, you must be an ETFdb Pro member. Please login or begin your 7-day free trial to continue reading. There are several benefits to becoming an ETFdb Pro member today:
- Access to 45+ All-ETF model portfolios . Whether you're a long-term, buy-and-hold investor or a more active trader looking to establish a tactical position, our collection of ETFdb Portfolios has something for everyone.
- Get objective, in-depth, custom research on every ETF. Our ETFdb Realtime Ratings show you exactly where each fund stacks up next to the competition.
- ETF Analyzer allows investors to compile and download custom analysis reports, comparing any number of potential investments on the basis of cost, dividend yield, portfolio diversity, and historical performance, among other metrics.
- ETF Edge , the monthly Pro newsletter, delivers the latest ETF news and commentary, along with investment ideas, industry news, and reviews of new exchange-traded products.
- Get Actionable ETF Investment Ideas every week with access to ETF Insider, the 2x weekly newsletter that combines technical and fundamental ETF analysis to identify compelling opportunities.
- Pro members have Unlimited Excel Download capabilities across the entire database; users can easily download more than 200 data filled paged.
- Get high quality analyst research with 60+ ETFdb Category Reports that highlight price drivers, factors to consider, and intriguing ETF options for every asset class and strategy.
- Enhanced ETF Screener download capabilities , including the option to export results from this proprietary tool to a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet.
Disclosure: No positions at time of writing.
- ETF Insider: Was The Greek Bailout Priced In?
- ETF Insider: Bulls Look To Data Before Resuming Rally
- ETF Insider: Momentum Hinges On ECB Hopes
- 17 ETFs For Day Traders
- ETF Insider: Earnings Jitters Are Back