- Some of the best new features in Apple's software are hidden.
- Here's how to use my favorite new hidden feature in iOS 12, which was released on Monday.
Apple released iOS 12, the latest version of the software that runs on iPhones and iPads, on Monday.
There are a lot of changes, including performance improvements, a new feature for tracking how much you use the phone, and more. You can check out some of the changes here and a full official changelog here.
But Apple didn't spend any time during its iPhone XS event last week covering my personal favorite "hidden gem" in the new software.
If you've ever needed to fix a typo or edit a paragraph on your iPhone, you're going to love this.
Simply long-press on the iPhone's space bar. Then you'll get a cursor you can move anywhere by dragging your finger.
You kind of have to see it to believe it.
This feature was actually first made available for the iPhone 6S, since that was the first phone with "Force Touch" (now "3D Touch"), but iOS 12 makes this functionality available on devices that lack 3D Touch, including older iPhones like the iPhone 5S, and the new iPhone XR coming in October. It also works on the iPad for the first time too.
Check it out:
- Your iPhone's camera just got an upgrade thanks to iOS 12 — here are all the ways it changed
- Apple's iOS 12 is a modest update that doesn't feel much different from iOS 11
- Apple is making some helpful updates to the way you get iPhone notifications in iOS 12 — here are all the ways your phone will change