MISSISSAUGA, ON--(Marketwired - January 16, 2014) - FedEx Express Canada, a subsidiary of FedEx Corp. (FDX), has announced the completion of key investments in Manitoba and Calgary while unveiling a major initiative to enhance service on Vancouver Island. The strategic investments to FedEx Express Canada's operations improve service and global connectivity for businesses and online shoppers in Western Canada.
"Demand for FedEx Express services, including next-day shipping, deferred delivery, large-consignment air freight and specialized solutions for the vibrant small business sector are behind the strategic investments in facilities and upgraded services we have announced today," said Lisa Lisson, president of FedEx Express Canada.
"We have just modified our airside package sort and distribution facility at Calgary airport (YYC) to accommodate increasing cargo volumes while adding to our international service for Manitoba with a new daily wide-bodied Airbus 310 (A310) service to the Winnipeg James Armstrong Richardson International Airport (YWG)," Lisson said.
Lisson also announced that FedEx Express would enhance service to Vancouver Island with the introduction of a daily flight into Nanaimo Airport (YCD) by February, 2014.
Calgary FedEx Express Facility
- Additional 28,000 sq ft. of operational space, allowing for faster package sorting and earlier on-road deliveries for downtown Calgary.
- 104,095 sq. ft. in total space, accommodating over 375 employees and more than 90 courier and cargo transportation vehicles.
- New energy-efficient lighting and high-speed cargo doors.
"Our Calgary airport facility investments reflect the commitment and performance of our FedEx Express team in Calgary and the outstanding service they deliver to customers," said Lisson. "These improvements allow us to exceed the expectations of our customers in Southern Alberta while positioning our company for anticipated growth in this region."
New Wide-Body Aircraft Service to Winnipeg
- New wide-bodied Airbus 310 (A310) daily service between Winnipeg and the FedEx World Hub in Memphis, TN., offers business and online shoppers greater connectivity to global markets.
- The A310 has a maximum payload of 80,000 lbs (36,287 kg) and a maximum payload range of 3,500 statute miles (5,632 km).
"We are very encouraged by the economic performance of Manitoba and Canada's mid-west," said Lisson. "The upgrade of our daily service to Winnipeg from a smaller, narrow-body aircraft to the A310 reflects our confidence and offers our customers in Manitoba a clear edge in connectivity to global markets," she said.
Daily Flight Service to Vancouver Island
- New daily C208 FedEx Express flight to Nanaimo Airport (YCD) from February 2014.
- Businesses and online shoppers will benefit from extended pick-up and drop-off windows in Nanaimo, Port Alberni, Campbell River, Courtenay, Comox, Sooke, Western Plaines, and surrounding areas.
"North Vancouver Island is an important regional business hub, with a strong small business sector and a growing high-tech industry," said Lisson. "The introduction of a daily FedEx Express flight to Nanaimo illustrates our commitment to this region and our ongoing determination of maintaining our competitive advantage for our customers."
About FedEx Corp.
FedEx Corp. (FDX) provides customers and businesses worldwide with a broad portfolio of transportation, e-commerce and business services. With annual revenues of $45 billion, the company offers integrated business applications through operating companies competing collectively and managed collaboratively, under the respected FedEx brand. Consistently ranked among the world's most admired and trusted employers, FedEx inspires its more than 300,000 team members to remain "absolutely, positively" focused on safety, the highest ethical and professional standards and the needs of their customers and communities. For more information, visit news.fedex.com.