Wall Street was in for a mixed bag of earnings this week, with several bellwethers reporting third quarter results. 3M (MMM) and Ford Motor Company (F) topped analyst earnings and revenue expectations, while telecom giant AT&T (T) also beat earnings estimates, though revenues fell in line with expectations. Caterpillar (CAT)–one of the biggest manufacturers of construction and mining equipment–posted lower-than-expected quarterly results and cut its full year forecast [see Visual Guide: Major Index Returns by Year from 1970].
On the ETF front, investors were introduced to 10 new exchange traded products:
Fidelity, the issuer of the Nasdaq Composite Index Tracking Stock Market ETF , is taking steps to become a bigger presence in the ETF space. On Thursday, the Boston-based firm launched 10 U.S. sector ETFs:
- MSCI Consumer Discretionary Index ETF (FDIS)
- MSCI Consumer Staples Index ETF (FSTA)
- MSCI Energy Index ETF (FENY)
- MSCI Financials Index ETF (FNCL)
- MSCI Health Care Index ETF (FHLC)
- MSCI Industrials Index ETF (FIDU)
- MSCI Information Technology Index ETF (FTEC)
- MSCI Materials Index ETF (FMAT)
- MSCI Telecommunications Services Index ETF (FCOM)
- MSCI Utilities Index ETF (FUTY)
Each fund charges 0.12% and can be traded commission free by investors with a Fidelity brokerage account.
The funds face some steep competition from industry veterans like State Street, whose lineup of sector-specific SPDR funds are some of the most popular ETFs on the market today. Fidelity’s new funds, however, charge slightly less than the Sector SPDRs, which charge 18 basis points and are not available commission free on any trading platform [see Select Sector SPDR ETFs Head-To-Head].
Fidelity’s sector ETFs will go head-to-head with these State Street favorites:
- Consumer Discretionary Select Sector SPDR ETF (XLY, A)
- Consumer Staples Select Sector SPDR ETF (XLP, A)
- Energy Select Sector SPDR ETF (XLE, A)
- Financials Select Sector SPDR ETF (XLF, A)
- Health Care Select Sector SPDR ETF (XLV, A)
- Industrial Select Sector SPDR ETF (XLI, A)
- Technology Select Sector SPDR ETF (XLK, A)
- Materials Select Sector SPDR ETF (XLB, A)
- SPDR S&P Telecom ETF (XTL, A)
- Utilities Select Sector SPDR ETF (XLU, A)
Follow me on Twitter @DPylypczak.
Disclosure: No positions at time of writing.
- ETFs & Sector Rotation: Large Cap, Small Cap, Or International?
- 3 Sector Rotation Strategies ETF Investors Must Know
- 12 Cheap ETFs Every Trader Must Know
- The Most Tradable Stock In Each Sector SPDR ETF
- Which Sector ETFs Are Cheap?
FREE Options Trading Course
Options expert Bernie Schaeffer reveals his time-tested secrets in this six-part Top Gun Trading Techniques course. Learn to trade like a pro and use these proven techniques to boost your profits and lower your risk.
PLUS get free access to our newest trades - just posted online and waiting for you now! Offer expires in 24 hours - get it now!