It didn’t take long for Tucker Carlson to go after Kamala Harris: The Fox News host repeatedly mispronounced the Democratic VP candidate’s name on Tuesday’s show, and later shrugged it off when a guest tried to point out his mistake.
Carlson referred to Harris — who was chosen to be Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden’s running mate earlier on Tuesday — as “Ka-MAL-a,” emphasizing the second syllable, when it’s pronounced “KAM-a-la,” with the emphasis on the first syllable. Carlson’s guest, Democratic political consultant Richard Goodstein, interrupted to tell Carlson how her name is pronounced, and Carlson responded with a scoff: “OK… so what?”
More from TVLine
- Maya Rudolph Reacts to Kamala Harris Earning Joe Biden's VP Slot
- Joe Biden Picks Kamala Harris as Vice Presidential Running Mate
- Marge Simpson Responds to Trump Adviser's Assertion That Kamala Harris Sounds Like Her: 'I'm Pissed Off'
“I think out of respect for someone who’s going to be on the national ticket, pronouncing her name right is kind of a bare minimum,” Goodstein replied, and Carlson laughed: “So I’m disrespecting her by mispronouncing her intentionally? So it begins. You’re not allowed to criticize Ka-MAL-a Harris, or KAM-a-la… Look, I unintentionally mispronounced her name, but I love the idea that she’s immune from criticism. So let me restate my question, because on this show, nobody in power is immune from criticism.” (For the record, Carlson did continue to mispronounce Harris’ name later in the show.)
Watch the exchange between Carlson and his guest below:
Tucker Carlson loses it when a guest corrects his pronunciation of Kamala Harris's name pic.twitter.com/1fHIrPGuwN
— nikki mccann ramírez (@NikkiMcR) August 12, 2020
Best of TVLine
- The Top TV Theme Songs of All Time: 1970s Edition
- TV's 20 Best Musical Episodes, Ranked (Plus the One Absolute Worst)
- Watch Impeachment Trial Live Stream