MEMPHIS, TENNESSEE--(Marketwire - Nov 30, 2012) - You depend on your home appliances every day, so when one of them stops working it can be a huge inconvenience. If the kitchen sink isn''t draining properly, your garbage disposal could be to blame. Below are some tips on how you can get it back in working order.
Your garbage disposal traps and shreds food waste so that it can move easily through your plumbing. This simple mechanism has a very important job, and if not used properly, can wear out well before its time. Here are some quick, easy tips to use if your garbage disposal is acting up:
|Garbage Disposal Repair and Maintenance|
- To clean the disposal, feed a full tray of ice cubes through it while running cold water.
- To prevent stoppages, remember to run water during use and for at least twenty seconds after you finish.
- Make sure the rubber splashguard is not damaged or missing.
- Avoid using a garbage disposal if you are on a septic system.
|Garbage Disposal Quick Fixes|
|If your garbage disposal does not operate:|
- Check for blown fuse or tripped circuit breaker.
- If the disposal is plugged into a wall outlet, ensure the outlet has power.
- On continuous-feed models, check the wall switch. On batch-feed models, check the stopper switch.
- If the flywheel is jammed, free it using the supplied tool.
- Push the reset button.
|If your motor hums, but unit does not grind:|
- Free the flywheel using the supplied tool or a long wooden spoon handle.
- Push the reset button.
- If neither of these work, call a qualified professional.
|If your disposal grinds things too slowly:|
- Run cold water when using the disposal.
- Only dispose of materials allowed by the owner''s manual.
Safeguarding your home and appliances for over 40 years
Join more than one million customers from coast to coast who have enrolled their home and appliances with a Home Protection Plan. Before your appliances break down or need repair, sign up for an appliance warranty to ensure that you can be covered in the event of an inconvenient breakdown.
Not only can an American Home Shield Home Protection Plan help you with the cost of repairs and replacements, it can also relieve you from the time-consuming process of finding a good quality service contractor. American Home Shield pioneered the home warranty industry in 1971, and ever since, has continued to lead in service and market share, serving more than 1.3 million customers across 49 states today.
At AHS, we''re dedicated to providing customers with new home warranty and appliance warranty coverage. You''ll receive service from friendly, professional technicians well-trained to work on your appliance problems.
Contact American Home Shield for complete details on appliance warranty coverage.
American Home Shield is providing the information for general guidance only. Due to the general nature of the property maintenance and improvement advice in this material, neither American Home Shield Corporation, nor its licensed subsidiaries assumes any responsibility for any loss or damage which may be suffered by the use of this information.