Gold futures tested $1998.40 yesterday, and we see the potential for a post-Fed meeting pullback in precious metals. Gold miners will often lead the metals into key turning points. Here are the levels I am watching in GDX.
GDX DAILY CHART (10:30AM): If GDX closes below $41.70, I see the potential for a top at $44.46. A subsequent breakdown below the mid-July pivot ($36.87) would confirm an intermediate cycle top. If confirmed, expect a multi-week correction back towards the $30.00 level.
Our intermediate Gold Cycle Indicator is at max cycle topping (450), supporting a near-term peak in precious metals. A correction here would trigger a September buying opportunity.
AG Thorson is a registered CMT and expert in technical analysis. He believes we are in the final stages of a global debt super-cycle. For more information, please visit here.
For a look at all of today’s economic events, check out our economic calendar.
This article was originally posted on FX Empire
More From FXEMPIRE:
- E-mini S&P 500 Index (ES) Futures Technical Analysis – Strengthens Over 3238.00, Weakens Under 3194.75
- Silver Price Forecast – Silver Markets Give Back a Bit
- S&P 500 Price Forecast – Stock Market Pulls Back to Support
- Gold Price Prediction – Prices Slip Despite a Decline in the Greenback as GDP Tumbles
- What To Expect After Amazon.Com Earnings
- Precious Metals Warn Of Increased Volatility Ahead