GENEVA, SWITZERLAND and BOSTON, MA--(Marketwired - Jan 12, 2016) - Goodwall, a website, mobile app and online community for teens, today announced a $2.1 million seed round. More than half a million students use Goodwall to showcase their academic and extracurricular achievements, discover new opportunities to expand their horizons, get recognized by colleges, and connect with peers and mentors around the world.
"We are proud of the growth we've seen this year, especially around key metrics like student signups, partnerships with colleges and student/college connections," said Taha Bawa, Goodwall's co-founder and CEO. "Students often join Goodwall because they hear about it from other students, including our more than 150 student ambassadors. This funding will allow us to extend our reach and offerings."
Goodwall's seed round came from a group of private backers led by Francis Clivaz, a global leader in international education. He is the co-founder of the European Council of International Schools (ECIS) and an active member of the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC).
Goodwall connected with several investors via Investiere, the leading European online startup platform for private investors. Three other investors, Ulrich Essmann and Tim Schumachers, co-founders of Sedo.com, the global domain marketplace and Martin Steinmann, Boston-entrepreneur, angel and startup advisor, are joining the Goodwall advisory board.
The Goodwall community has grown to more than half a million students and has achieved several major milestones in 2015:
- Goodwall's student base represents over 150 countries and 6000 schools, although the vast majority come from the North America.
- Goodwall is now connected to more than 3000 universities and colleges around the world.
- Goodwall has made more than 5 million matches, connecting colleges with potential students.
- The number of full-time Goodwall employees more than tripled and the company expanded to the United States, opening a Boston office where it is looking to hire extensively in 2016.
Student of the Month Scholarships Focus on Extracurricular Achievements
Every month, Goodwall recognizes a student for their extracurricular activities and awards that student a scholarship. Goodwall's U.S. Director Drew Gallagher recently presented a Goodwall Student of the Month award to Yasmeen Roumie, a senior at Stuyvesant High School in New York City. Roumie received a $1,000 scholarship toward the college of her choice. Roumie's accomplishments include: interning with NASA, winning a robotics competition in China, interning at Harvard Medical School's Genetics Lab and founding an organization that delivers leftover flowers from events to hospitals and nursing homes.
Goodwall is an online community for high school students to connect with each other and showcase their accomplishments to get recognized by colleges and scholarships. From the ages of 14 through 18, Goodwall equips students with a step-by-step guide to success and the necessary tools, resources, and knowledge to help them make the most informed decisions to reach their full potential. Goodwall helps students:
- develop critical life skills and tell their story
- connect with a network of students worldwide and discover learning opportunities related to their passions
- navigate the college application and search process so that they find the right school
Goodwall eliminates luck and privilege from the equation and provides every student with the opportunity to succeed in college and life.