Google employees around the world are staging a mass walkout Thursday in protest of sexual misconduct.
It follows a bombshell New York Times report last week that named executives who had been accused of sexual misconduct, including Andy Rubin, the creator of the mobile operating system Android. Rubin denied any misconduct.
Thousands of workers are expected to take part in the protest, which calls for people in Google's offices to walk away from their desk at 11 a.m. in their respective time zone. Protesters are using the hashtag #GoogleWalkout. Employees in New York, London, Tokyo, and Berlin are among those to have already taken part.
Google CEO Sundar Pichai said he supported the protests and was listening to his staff. "We are aware of the activities planned for Thursday and that employees will have the support they need if they wish to participate," he said.
Business Insider is covering the Google walkout live. Refresh this page for updates.
Shona Ghosh and Sean Wolfe were on the scene in London and New York respectively. Matt Weinberger and Katie Canales were on the scene in San Francisco, and Troy Wolverton was on the scene in Mountain View.
- Google staff across the world are abandoning their desks in protest of sexual misconduct
- Android creator Andy Rubin says the 'wild' allegations about his sexual misconduct and $90 million exit deal are a 'smear campaign'
- Here's the memo Google CEO Sundar Pichai sent employees following the bombshell NYT story detailing sexual misconduct at the company