Over the past 10 years Huntington Bancshares Incorporated (NASDAQ:HBAN) has grown its dividend payouts from $0.040 to $0.56. With a market cap of US$15b, Huntington Bancshares pays out 41% of its earnings, leading to a 3.9% yield. Let me elaborate on you why the stock stands out for income investors like myself.
What Is A Dividend Rock Star?
It is a stock that pays a consistent, reliable and competitive dividend over a long period of time, and is expected to continue to pay in the same manner many years to come. More specifically:
- It is paying an annual yield above 75% of dividend payers
- It has paid dividend every year without dramatically reducing payout in the past
- Its dividend per share amount has increased over the past
- It is able to pay the current rate of dividends from its earnings
- It is able to continue to payout at the current rate in the future
High Yield And Dependable
The company’s dividend yield stands at 3.9%, which is high for Banks stocks. But the real reason Huntington Bancshares stands out is because it has a high chance of being able to continue to pay dividend at this level for years to come, something that is quite desirable if you are looking to create a portfolio that generates a steady stream of income.
If dividend is a key criteria in your investment consideration, then you need to make sure the dividend stock you’re eyeing out is reliable in its payments. HBAN has increased its DPS from $0.040 to $0.56 in the past 10 years. During this period it has not missed a payment, as one would expect for a company increasing its dividend. This is an impressive feat, which makes HBAN a true dividend rockstar.
Huntington Bancshares has a trailing twelve-month payout ratio of 41%, meaning the dividend is sufficiently covered by earnings. In the near future, analysts are predicting a payout ratio of 45% which, assuming the share price stays the same, leads to a dividend yield of around 4.4%. In addition to this, EPS should increase to $1.35.
When assessing the forecast sustainability of a dividend it is also worth considering the cash flow of the business. Cash flow is important because companies with strong cash flow can usually sustain higher payout ratios.
Huntington Bancshares’s strong dividend attributes make it, without a doubt, a stock dividend investors should be considering for their portfolios. However, given this is purely a dividend analysis, you should always research extensively before deciding whether or not a stock is an appropriate investment for you. I always recommend analysing the company’s fundamentals and underlying business before making an investment decision. Below, I’ve compiled three essential factors you should further research:
- Future Outlook: What are well-informed industry analysts predicting for HBAN’s future growth? Take a look at our free research report of analyst consensus for HBAN’s outlook.
- Valuation: What is HBAN worth today? Even if the stock is a cash cow, it’s not worth an infinite price. The intrinsic value infographic in our free research report helps visualize whether HBAN is currently mispriced by the market.
- Other Dividend Rockstars: Are there strong dividend payers with better fundamentals out there? Check out our free list of these great stocks here.
We aim to bring you long-term focused research analysis driven by fundamental data. Note that our analysis may not factor in the latest price-sensitive company announcements or qualitative material.
If you spot an error that warrants correction, please contact the editor at email@example.com. This article by Simply Wall St is general in nature. It does not constitute a recommendation to buy or sell any stock, and does not take account of your objectives, or your financial situation. Simply Wall St has no position in the stocks mentioned. Thank you for reading.