Real estate professionals from around the country will benefit from years of Colorado’s legalized recreational cannabis experience to successfully manage commercial and residential properties
DENVER, Feb. 21, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- The Greater Denver Chapter of the Institute of Real Estate Management (IREM) will host the National Real Estate and Cannabis (NREC) Summit June 13 at the newly completed Gaylord Rockies Resort and Convention Center.
The one-day summit aims to empower real estate professionals to navigate the nation’s fastest-growing industry in a new age of expanding cannabis legalization and earns participants 7 CE credits from the Colorado Division of Real Estate. The day’s speakers are experts in the legal aspects of cannabis, the impact on both residential and commercial properties and leases as well as what’s next for cannabis legalization across the nation.
“NREC’s goal is not to take a position for or against the cannabis industry, but to provide the information real estate professionals need to make the right decisions for their properties in this new era of expanding medical and recreational legalization,” said Jennifer Plunkett, IREM Greater Denver president. “Our speakers represent years of experience in Colorado, and we’re confident what they have learned will be the perfect jump-start for both information and building important industry resources.”
Keynote Speakers: Turning Lessons into Legal Leadership
The Keynote Address will be delivered by David Blake, former Colorado Deputy Attorney General and now with Squire Patton Boggs, and Melissa Kuipers-Blake, the Emerging Regulated Industries chair at Brownstein Farber Hyatt & Schreck. The address will touch on the ups and downs of Colorado’s path to legalization and how the state is turning lessons into leadership. Following the Keynote Address, they will participate in a panel discussion and be joined by:
- Moderator Dana Coffield, senior editor, Colorado Sun.
- Jason Thomas, Founder, CEO and managing broker, Avalon Realty Advisors.
- John Lord, CEO, LivWell Enlightened Health.
- Shannon Gray and Kyle Lambert of the Colorado Marijuana Enforcement Division. er
Additional speakers and topics at the Inaugural NREC Summit are:
- Brandy Keen, co-founder and senior technical advisor, Surna, Inc.: “Just What is the Cannabis Industry, and How Does it Impact Your Property?”
- Sean T. McAllister, founding attorney, McAllister Garfield: “The Future of Legalized Cannabis: A National Forecast.” Mark N. Tschetter, senior managing partner, Tschetter Hamrick Sulzer: “What Landlords Need to Know About Leasing & Cannabis.”
- Gustin Tubbs, operations consultant, MJ Freeway: “HR, IRS, and Other Pitfalls: What Makes a Healthy Cannabis Tenant?”
- Glen Weinberg, managing partner, Fairview Commercial Lending: “Show Me the Money — Financing Real Estate with Cannabis Clients.”
“Understanding legal cannabis can be challenging for real estate professionals, but this event will help everyone address these challenges in a proactive way,” said Dan Murphy, IREM Greater Denver president-elect. “The knowledge being shared at this event will not be available anywhere else, and real estate professionals would be wise to leverage Colorado’s experience in navigating legal cannabis for the past five years.”
For more information or to register to attend, please visit the NREC Summit registration page.