The new winners of the latest Mega Millions Jackpot have nothing on Warren Buffett.
The Oracle of Omaha pulled in $12.7 billion in the first 344 days of 2013, for a total net worth of $59.1 billion. That’s $37 million per day and enough to make him the world’s highest earner in 2013, according to a new report from consulting company Wealth-X.
Even after that haul, however, Buffett is not the wealthiest billionaire on Wealth-X’s list of the top-earning billionaires of 2013. Buffett is second to Microsoft chairman Bill Gates, who added $11.5 billion to his coffers for a new net worth total of $72.6 billion.
The third highest-earning billionaire of 2013 was casino mogul Sheldon Adelson, who cleared $11.4 billion, increasing his personal net worth to $35 billion.
The men (there are no women) on the list of the top 10 billionaire earners of 2013 collectively raked in $101.8 billion this year, for an average gain of $10.2 billion each. Their combined wealth totals $347 billion, up from $245 billion at the beginning of this year.
Per day, the billionaires earned an average of $29 million and increased their wealth by 41.6 percent. By comparison, the S&P 500 is up just over 25 percent year-to-date.
Here’s the full list:
1. Warren Buffett, Berkshire Hathaway chairman/CEO
2013 gain: $12.7 billion
Current net worth: $59.1 billion
2. Bill Gates, Microsoft chairman/founder
2013 gain: $11.5 billion
Current net worth: $72.6 billion
3. Sheldon Adelson, casino mogul
2013 gain: $11.4 billion
Current net worth: $35.3 billion
4. Jeff Bezos, Amazon.com CEO/founder
2013 gain: $11.3 billion
Current net worth: $34.4 billion
5. Mark Zuckerberg, Facebook.com CEO/founder
2013 gain: $10.5 billion
Current net worth: $24.7 billion
6. Masayoshi Son, SoftBank Corp president
2013 gain: $10.3 billion
Current net worth: $19.1 billion
7. Sergey Brin, Google co-founder
2013 gain: $9.3 billion
Current net worth: $30 billion
8. Larry Page, Google CEO
2013 gain: $9.3 billion
Current net worth: $29.9 billion
9. Lui Chee Woo, chairman, K. Wah Group; owner, Glazy Entertainment Group
2013 gain: $8.3 billion
Current net worth: $19.6 billion
10. Carl Icahn, majority shareholder Icahn Enterprise
2013 Gain: $7.2 billion
Current net worth: $22.1 billion
Top Reads from The Fiscal Times:
- 8 Things That Will Get Cheaper in 2014
- Why You May Pay 38 Percent More for Car Insurance
- 6 Macro Themes That Dominated Markets in 2013