The H&M Black Friday 2019 sale is going to be big, if last year is anything to go by. Even though the Scandi retailer didn't do blanket discounts in 2018 like Monica Vinader or ASOS, it did slash prices by up to 50%. So you're likely to find yourself a serious bargain once 29th November rolls around.
Not only does H&M nail womenswear, menswear, kids' and – seriously – dog clothes, it has one of the best high street homes ranges out there. On top of that, the retailer releases limited-edition capsule collections that often sell out – so you know the design team are talented AF. If you can bag yourself some Conscious Exclusive or H&M Studio in the clearance, you'll have found a collector's gem.
If not, head for the premium quality section on the site to find timeless staples made from great fabrics like wool and silk. And if you're on a serious budget, rest assured that you'll be able to kit yourself out in sequin party dresses (perfect for Christmas) or strappy sandals from as little as £9.99.
Feeling a little overwhelmed by the prospect of Black Friday? Don't let the stress get the better of you, follow some simple rules to make the most of the sales:
1) Don't bother with the stores, you are guaranteed to find better stock and sizes online – oh, and you get to avoid the crowds, shopping from the comfort of your own sofa.
2) Be laser-focused, you don't want to get distracted by new-in stuff until your must-haves are safely stowed in your basket.
3) Don't be selfish, guys! Black Friday is before Christmas, which means you can up your budget for gifts and get even more for your loved ones.
4) Ok, do think of yourself, and all those upcoming festive and New Year's Eve parties that demand several different sequin outfits.
5) Think fast – buzzy bits will sell out quickly. Play it safe and stockpile, you can always return unwanted items later on.
We earn a commission for products purchased through some of the links in this article.
When is Black Friday 2019?
Black Friday always falls on the fourth weekend of November which, this year, is 29th November. From our experience, clothes shopping is a little easier than anything else (like tech or beauty); most retailers launch their sales before the big day and continue them through the whole Cyber weekend, sometimes even beyond it. Last year, H&M's Black Friday sale lasted a week.
What even is Black Friday?
Black Friday kickstarted in '30s America when the department store Macy's cashed in on the annual Thanksgiving Day parade (if you love Gossip Girl, you'll remember Dan and Serena watching it on TV in season six).
The term 'Black Friday' wasn't officially coined until years later, with the event becoming more of a thang during the big capitalist years of the '80s (ya know, Working Girl, Wall Street bankers and, um, all the independent ladies reading Cosmopolitan). FYI, it's always been manic AF, that's why we prefer to shop online from the smug comfort of our homes.
Amazon was the first retailer to bring Black Friday over to the UK, offering customers online discounts and deals on the same day as the sales in the US. Supermarket Asda was next, creating some serious fuss (and physical fights, for real) with huge discounts on TVs and tech in store.
Soon the rest of the UK caught on to the potential pre-Christmas profit and the rest is history.
What was on sale last year?
Last year, H&M gave customers up to 50% off selected lines on the site. The retailer dropped new daily discounts, starting a few days before Black Friday and lasting through to Cyber Monday. H&M Club members were given a discount code (found in the 'my rewards' section at the checkout) for an extras 10% off sale items.
What should I look for on Black Friday 2019?
- Premium Quality – pay a little more on H&M and you can grab yourselves some really great basics, knitwear and tailoring made from wool, quality cotton and even silk. Of course, when they're 50% off in the sale, you're not paying extra at all.
- Capsule collections – H&M is the boss of capsules. Its designer collaborations are legendary, and have customers queueing/camping (literally) outside of the stores. Up next is the Giambattista Valli launch on 7th November, and the Pringle of Scotland collab dropped just last month.
- H&M Conscious – if you want to shop high street but the guilt is TM, you'll be pleased to know H&M's more sustainable range is expanding options-wise all the time.
- Homeware – seriously, we are obsessed with H&M Homeware. From kitschy leopard ornaments and velvet cushion covers to rattan accent chairs, the retailer has really thought of everything.
Can't wait another second to get shopping? There's currently a sale on the site right now – here's a load of the best bargains:
You Might Also Like